on 3 March 2017
I received this book very quickly. It's in good condition for the very fair price.

I only received this today so I haven't had a chance to read this copy yet, however I had a copy years ago and it basically fell apart because I had it so long and read it so often so I can safely say it's a very good book in my opinion. It's full of dark humour and twists in every tale and I'm really looking forward to reading it again!
on 29 April 2017
On time, as expected, no hassles, Happy
on 3 June 2003
Roald Dahl is, or should be, well known for his superb and highly imaginative stories for children, but he also had a remarkable and very different talent for adult literature. He always displays an acid, witty and even macabre sense of humour, insisting on human miseries: greed, deceit and revenge are mixed up from apparently innocent attitudes to obtain surprising and sometimes exhilarating results. If you read all the tales in a row, as I did, you may be a little exhausted at the end, but you can always switch to something else and come back later. There is real good material in here, like "Parson's pleasure", "William and Mary", "The hitchhiker", "Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's coat" or "Genesis and catastrophe". Very recommended!
on 3 February 2007
I have been an admirer of Roald Dahl since I was a child, indulging in all his classics (Charlie and the Chocolate factory, The Witches, Matilda and so many more) and possibly the thing that attracted me to his books were his imagination, his stories which even without the label of "Unexpected" took us to unexpected places and stunned us. My copy of this book is worn and bent from reading and re-reading the amazing stories. His stories are dark and intriguing, captivating and magical, and his imagination and creativity and ability to stun are present as always. It is a book you cannot read in one go, but you can not drop it once you've started either! "Lamb to the slaughter", "The landlady", "Mrs. Bixby and the colonel's coat", "Man from the south"...all amazing. You will not regret it! :)
on 4 March 2012
If you like Roald Dahl, you'll know what to er... expect. This collection brings together many of his best stories, and in describing them, there is nothing that I can add to the other reviews posted here.

What I have to draw attention to, however, is the truly appalling typesetting. The book contains one error after another, making some sentences quite difficult to read. There is one whole chunk (in my reading so far!) of several pages of text that seems to have been cut and pasted into the wrong place. I am accustomed to errors in Kindle books- they do not appear to be typeset and proof-read to the same standard as printed books- but this one is absolutely atrocious. Perhaps Amazon need to take this matter up with the publishers, who set the price, as this is a very amateurish production, which should not be marketed as a full-price book by a supposedly professional company.
on 12 November 2010
Hands down one of THE most delightful books I've read in a while. It's not often I find myself itching to flip forward in the book because I simply can't take the suspense; with this collection of short stories, I was doing that every time I picked it up! You know there's a twist coming, you think you've predicted what it'll be, but you're surprised every time. Roald Dahl managed to keep my level of anticipation and suspense at a nearly fevered pitch throughout the entire work, and there were many times I laughed out loud or gasped in shock (much to the puzzlement of the people around me on the subway). Bold, unapologetic, devious, dark, and simultaneously lighthearted, this is a work I will return to not only for my own enjoyment, but perhaps for lessons on creative writing and exposition. (I think the kids would get a kick out of plenty of them!)
on 12 May 2011
These are absolute classics and I'd thoroughly recommend anyone who loved Roald Dahl as a child finding out more about his darker side. I'd suggest you stick to the paperback version though, which is over £4 cheaper than the kindle version!!
on 15 October 2011
I grew up loving these stories, captivated by Dahl's wit and sense of the macabre. I just found a set of stories from an author Kavan Stafford called Ward 62 which entertained, scared and made me think in a very similar way. Dahl's tales show his extraordinary imagination
on 31 December 2010
One of my favourite books of all times. You will never guess the final twists.
I have bought it for most of my friends, they all loved it too!
on 13 June 2016
This is a wonderful book that never seems to date. I've read it several times since being a teenager, all the stories are macabre and leave you feeling uneasy, but that's what Dahl does best! The shortest story is only about 8 pages long, but so well crafted that you feel you've entered an entire world. Definitely worth reading.