Customer reviews

on 23 June 2004
I am still sailing this ship, but what a lovely journey. Gavin Young, who died this spring, isn't the most well known travel writer around, but he is definitely one of the best. What really makes this book interesting as far as I have got, is the part of the trip where he visits Egypt, Akaba, Jedda and across Saudi Arabia to The Emirates. His reflections on the saudis from twenty years back are harrowing taking into account the present situation in countries like Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
on 21 January 2004
This is a delightful book in which our narrator relates his experiences voyaging the hard way to China on a variety of sea vessels.
The spellbinding depiction of the characters he met during this adventure make this book a wonderful read and one that you will find yourself re-reading, discovering different nuances every time you do. Wonderful!
on 26 February 2017
Back in August 1987 I picked up this book in Sidmouth Library. I was awaiting my A level results from RNC (Royal National College, Hereford) in the hope I was going to be admitted to Liverpool University. The results weren't good enough, and it capped an awful academic year. I hated the College. I need some escapism. Within three pages of this wonderful book I was entranced. Young was a first rate writer, with a kindly but not overtly sentimental streak, who had witnessed the horrors of Vietnam and one suspects he wanted to get away from reporting wars and bloodshed. This book, which I have re-read three times, literally did saved my sanity: I even wrote to The Observer whom Young worked for to pass on my gratitude and enquire how I could work for them (in the days before the venerable paper was bought by The Guardian). If you are ever feeling depressed, read this book: it will rekindle your faith in mankind
on 3 December 2015
An excellent read for a long sea voyage in which the author's knowledge and fondness for the area - and for such adventurous voyages shines through, perhaps with a little too much detail for absolute authenticity? Gets a bit bogged down with rather pointless individual descriptions, introducing characters who flicker for an instant on the page and are then gone forever, but enjoyable nonetheless, not least for the humour and style in which it is written.
on 1 February 2015
A superb read. You will find yourself there with the author, Every boat, city, desert and anxiety. Travel not as it used to be but a glimpse of past travel.
You will find this one difficult to pit down.
on 19 January 2017
very good book I would recommend it