on 5 December 2003
This book is not only user friendly but also comprehensive and covers a good deal of what should be covered in a book about Electrodynamics. It is full of intuitive illustrations and good examples and explains in a nice Feynman-ish way.
It also supplies a very nice vector analysis intro. for those of you who need it (which is quite a critical organ in the body of knowledge of Electrodynamics and physics at large).
I also liked its habit of not ignoring pitfalls when it comes to understanding the basics as I think, that is one of the differences between understanding Physics and just knowing Physical facts.
I say hooray(hoorah in the UK??) for Griffiths, he's done it in a few fields but in this one it is a winner.
In summary, not only this book is perfect for the novice Electrodynamics technician (physicist/engineer/mathematician/curious people with lots of free time) but also for reference, for it has been so ever since I have it in my possesion and it is a great one (ref. that is).
And no, I've no relation to Griffiths what so ever ( but I wouldn't mind having one )
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2008
This text book is without a doubt the best text book I own. The style of writing is brilliant, with Griffiths talking about electromagnetism in a relaxed but authorative manner. Unlike many other texts this does not hide behind technical language, and is clear and concise. Examples are well written and there a great number of problems to attempt.

This text is ideal for an undergraduate electrodynamics course, and I would highly recommend it, for it's highly approachable, and easily understood introduction to such a subject.
on 14 June 2008
The education of the reader seems to be first priority here. The author is good at his explanations and the order of material has been well conidered.

My favourite feature is the relevance of the exercises for the reader. Sometimes I'm tempted to read the text and skip the hard work, but fortunately I resisted on this occasion. It feels like each exercise has been hand-picked to give the reader some new insight or appreciation, in a subject area which is full of subtleties and mathematical pitfalls.

This book is a must for someone learning electrodynamics. Jackson was another option, but I found this "bible" way too cumbersome and more of a reference book than an accompaniment to a course. I still used it, because the section on relativity is pretty good, and his tensor notation seems more common. It's expensive, so find it in a library.

Probably the best undergraduate text I've used.
on 9 November 2011
As a physicist with some experience in EM theory I bought this book as a refresher. It is without doubt the best book I have bought in this field...and I have a few. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics has a well deserved reputation but can be hard going and goes into greater details in certain areas...Griffiths words are clear, concise, do not skimp on the maths and provide great explanations of the key aspects of EM theory. The book also covers subjects that some students may not be aware of...e.g. the divergence operation with the 1/r^2 function and the relation to the Dirac delta function. All of the books (except Jacksons) I have don't even mention this. I have all of Griffith's three books (EM, particle physics and quantum physics). All three are absolutley outstanding. Recommended to all...physics students and practising scientists/engineers. No praise is too high!
on 19 March 2010
this is a must have for any undergraduate course in electrodynamics. it is written in an informal manner which is at the correct level for students-doesnt leave you with questions u didnt have before. it has many worked examples with all of the steps included in the solution with helpfu diagrams. it is a very easy to use book. unfortunately it doesnt have solutions to the examples for us to do but you get complete understanding from the worked examples it doesnt really matter

also, although it is more expensive than other electrodynamics, it is so well written and understandable that it is well worth it!!!
on 13 July 2011
Possibly one of the best intro books to EM. Griffiths' style is refreshing, readable and avoids becoming dense or dry like some other books on EM. Book covers most topics in EM from the very basics right up to the more difficult topics. Overall, I'm very happy with the book, it's easily worth the price, since I think I will come back to it for reference for many years.
on 17 June 2012
Whether you wanna be a theoretician or an experimental this is the book for learning classical electrodynamics, the text also features an introduction to relativistic electrodynamics which is astonishing in clarity of exposition.
My only negative remark: I wish I had found something on group algebra in the "maths chapters".
The problems are rather challenging but highly pedagocical
on 3 February 2016
This book was invaluable to my studies, David Griffiths explains things in such an easy to understand way. Would definitely recommend any of his books, especially over the Jackson books which are really hard to read!
on 25 May 2010
I've had this book out numerous times from the library and it's helped me no-end with my undergrad electromagnetism studies. The bit on vector calculus at the begining is really useful too. The only problems that I have with this book are the lack of worked examples and the brevity of some topics (capacitance, for instance). Having said that, I challenge anyone to find a better electromagnetism textbook.
on 9 November 2013
The Griffiths's book is very well known an used at universities all around the world. It is a very clear and modern text book on Electromagnetism. I am very happy with my second hand copy: it is new, with only a few little dots in the cover.