on 21 June 2011
As I will be working with derivatives soon, I wanted to read a book that gives an overview of the relevant books. This book is exactly what I was looking for. It discusses the instruments with just the right amount of mathematical detail and provides many examples so readers can make sure that they have understood the topic. I also like the fact that each chapter provides a list for further reading.
on 11 July 2014
Bought the Kindle edition, but have been unable to read it yet because for some bizarre reason the author chose to limit the type of devices this book could be read on. So no IPhone, No Android, and no Kindle Cloud reader (the only 3 devices Im allowed to use at work).
This makes this purchase an extraordinary failure, despite my desperate need to read this book (necessary reading in my new contract)
Bad, silly inconsiderate author
on 8 February 2013
Well written, clear examples. It is a great foundation for understanding derivatives.

Note of caution: You need to have a good understanding of mathematics as it assumes good knowledge of differentiation. I would suggest you pair this book with a financial mathematics text book.
on 24 January 2015
My first edition of this book I read was the second edition. It was the best of a few books on the theme. It has changed a lot, but the principle constitution of the book is in every edition the same. It begins with forwards and futures, option and hedging. He turns to the preliminaries, like yield curve, duration, interest rate future, swaps and the boundaries of options. On this basis, he develops the binomial tree and Black Scholes valuation.
All modern forms of derivatives can be valued with the classical instruments, like credit contracts, knock out derivatives and other exotic options. It is easily explained and the reader can follow it. All stochastic models are explained for the advanced one. It is a great book for beginners and for the advanced reader it is a reference book.
on 5 January 2012
A must-have for any student reading the Options, futures and derivatives 8th edition. It not only has numerical answers but also explains part of the theory in the form of answers to the questions. The manual covers only the Practice Questions after each chapter, not the Further Questions.
on 6 February 2014
Book: Excellent, 5 stars
Packing and Cover: 2 stars

I have worked through the book previously. I therefore knew the content and quality. It is an excellent book. The treatment of derivatives are appropriate. Personally, I thought there isn't a great deal of mathematical treatment, which may help the readers, who are not mathematically extensively inclined.

Packing and covers: I should have opened the packing, in time, to check for any damages. It was too late to return and seek a replacement as the back cover and binding sides of the book are damaged and torn. It is not a big deal, though I would have still loved a replacement. I would expect the seller/amazon to exercise care while packing and sending paperback books. Perhaps, amazon/sellers may want to consider entertaining replacement requests for an extended period of time.
on 11 November 2005
One of the perls in my collection. Without doubt, everything that need to be known. Each chapter is organized as a masterclass: a theorical description, an explanation and some examples. I had few other books on the same subject (9) and I sold them because this is the best and the rest is repetition. I combine this with Stochastics Calculus and Financial Applications (ISBN: 0387950168) which is more academic (theorical, plenty of lovely formulas). A must combination in derivatives and futures. See my other reccomendations for English for foreigns, Latin, Maths, Medicine and Economics.
on 29 October 2016
The book was tottally different with the picture and spec provided by the seller. Specifically, this book published in India and much more specific for india study and quite different with the original book that I found in the library.
on 28 August 2012
I initially read this book (an earlier edition with a mere 550 pages) some years ago when I started working in the financial markets. I found it very detailed but difficult to follow. Since then I have read Derivatives Demystified but as my understanding and experience has improved I find myself returning to this book. The level of detail is excellent, and the scope increases with each edition as the nature of the marketplace has changed. The mathematics are complex but okay to follow (you can skip them if it's not an area you need).

Highly recommended to anyone involved in some way with financial markets derivatives - this is an excellent reference.
on 9 September 2016
I was not very happy to receive a book that has indents on its cover page from bad storage. Moreover, It was not clean and with even more marks and dirt on all covers of the book. Considering I paid the price as the book would have cost on the Pearson website, I am disappointed with the delivery and would like to receive a new product without it being dirty and damaged. If you cannot provide a new book, I would like 50% my next purchase from Amazon.co.uk.

Not to mention, there was no confirmation in the package of the delivery inside the package.

Thank you.
review image review image review image review image review image