on 14 May 2009
Except from the chapters on Memory Management and the appendix on the disk hardware, I believe that this book is mediocre. I also bought Tanenbaum's "Modern Operating Systems" and there is no comparison between the two. Stallings has a way of explaining concepts which is ways too cryptic; he doesn't explain the details there where these are most needed and he loses himself in areas which, on a theoretical course on OS, aren't of particular interest.

Believe me, I've been studying OS hard since I'm completing a MSc in Computer Science; I learnt all I needed to know on Tanenbaum's while I fell asleep while reading Stallings' asking all the while: ok, what's your point? With Tanenbaum's it was all the time: Ah, is this how it works! Fantastic! I'm having fun reading this book.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
Good book, I recommend it using it with an implementation focused one such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Implementation-FreeBSD-Operating-System/dp/0201702452 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Kernel-Development-implementation-Developers/dp/B00IJ0LRSC/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515423297&sr=1-2&keywords=linux+kernel+development
on 13 October 2013
Everything was well explained, without being too verbose; the harder a concept was, the more it was written about it. Nice splitting into chapters, nice choice of ordering the contents. Most of the concepts are still in use, although the book is quite old. It might look big and scary, but it is impossible to explain the basics of operating systems in a smaller book.
on 7 November 2013
I bought it for a university course of computer security and I'm very satisfied about it. It covers all the main topics of ancient and modern security mechanisms showing them first in a simple way and then in a more specific one. Besides, there are about ten online chapters that deepens these topics. The only topic that it doesn't expound is access control policy.
on 1 October 2017
excellent book for programmers when a full understanding of the op system is needed
on 22 February 2016
don't buy the kindle edition as you lose the online content that you get if you buy the book. publishers never replied to my email either.
One person found this helpful
on 20 October 2009
Along the lines of my review of the Internal Designs and Principles book Stallings is only useful if you Uni course follows it closely. Otherwise look elswhere.
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2015
Great text book for OS.
on 30 January 2017
Good condition.
on 23 November 2014
Its a very concrete and well-written book as are all Stallings book. However, it is really frustrating trying to find out where are the books appendices at the internet (those that are not included in the book).