on 2 December 2000
This classical book provided me with most of the information I needed. Somehow the author has managed to write something that covers most of the field, yet provides substantial depth. It is a book that can be used both by academic and industrial technical people.
The writing style can only be described as EXCELLENT: in-depth yet understandable and making you want to read on!
Why I did not give it 5 stars? It should pay (more) attention to everything to do with internet streaming, multicast, QoS, LFNs (satellite communications), tunneling (VPNs) and other more recent topics, as otherwise the book risks to get a bit outdated.
on 6 December 2000
Don't get this book if you want to learn networks from the ground up - it's not very well composed, meandering, and has very little diagrams to back up the pages of text. You'd be far better of buying something like a Ciscopress title, or one of the many Sybex/McGrawHill/Coriolis books on basic internetworking.
I'm now a network consultant, but bought this book a few years back when I was moving in from a different technical area - I read the majority of the book, but none of it gelled or furthered my understanding too well. Reading it now, I can see why - it suffers from lack of direction, and misses out whole areas that are real fundamentals. IP addressing gets a page, whereas things like modulation techniques get reams.
All in all, it suffers from going waay too in depth in certain areas, yet skips over sections that the majority of people will want to read, and lacks in diagrams to explain things visually.
Ian.
on 15 July 2001
I have had this book for quite a while know and I like it very much. It is not a book for beginners however it is one of those books that you can use as a reference for many years. It is well written but quite technical in places and you may have to read some sections quiet a few times until the penny finally drops. This book helped me a lot whist I was a mature student studing Computing and I would recommend.
on 18 December 1999
This book is simply great... unlike other technical books that feel like they're the personal memoires of the author and are meant to remain that way, this book is extremely well-written. It is like reading a novel, but by the end of it you've learnt AND understood the bulk concepts related to computer networks. Mr. Tanenbaum must have a wealth of experience in explaining these concepts to people, because he uses very crafty analogies to help the reader visualise certain difficult concepts. Overall, I must say that this book is perfect for the student that wants to make a certain head-way on his own in this subject.
on 3 June 2000
We were recommended this book by our Networking lecturer at Sheffield Uni, so of course I approached it with some scepticism. However, I found myself completely surprised how clear and easy to understand it was. Key concepts are explained in everyday language, acronyms and jargon are gently introduced and the book actually begins to be enjoyable. So if you want to understand all the technicalities that have gone into the wonder of networks and indeed the Internet - buy this book!
on 22 September 2000
Without this book I would have failed my Module in Computer and Data Networks. It is writen in a highly readable style and I found that I could pick it up at anytime. Ideal for understanding all the background theory. The sections on protocols are quite heavy going, but the sections on the history of the Internet, and how the WWW works where fantasic.
If you can not understand your lecturer, or the course notes are rubbish, get this book!
on 15 March 2000
If you want to know how things work and why, buy this book. This book is VERY technical, and in depth. It's everything you ever wanted to know about the subject and then some. So just sit back and let it illuminate your mind!
on 4 February 2013
THE networks book. A bit old, and intense, but Tannenbaum basically is the course text for 99% of comp-sci courses. An interesting read.
on 28 December 2012
I just wanted a practical reference to bolster my knowledge of networks. This book is a real treasure and it will serve me well.
on 6 December 2000
I bought this book to help with college work. I was expecting it to be very useful. Instead I found that it skipped over a lot of areas like Topologies, while getting bogged down in complex mathematical formulae when explaining error correction. All in all, I am pretty dissapointed in the book.