Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 October 2003
I bought this book a couple of years ago to help me with the declarative languages portion of my computer science course. I expected it to be another programming text book covering the basics of the language with a few examples as most books do. I was then plesantly surprised with the content of this book. It not only explains using real world examples, it also explains why it works like that. I was quite confident after reading this book that I could program useful applications, although I was following a course of lectures as well with probably helped my understanding. All in all an excellent book to get a grounding in LISP programming, Top Notch.
on 21 October 2003
Summary: A complete discussion of lisp and how it really works (not just fluff and buzz words).

I read a bit about lisp on the net and decided it was time to learn how the most brackety language ever actually worked, so bought this book.

I would strongly recommend this book to people who already have a good programming background are interested in gaining a proper understanding of lisp.
If you don't have a strong background then this book will take a bit longer to read, but it is extremely clear in it's explanations of the concepts and explains the detail behind them that will save you from making confusing mistakes later on.

All sections of the language are covered very clearly (imho) and the examples demonstrate some of the true power of the language very nicely.

I especially liked the examples of 'large' systems at the end of the book which demonstrated actual use of the language.

All I need to do now is find an excuse to write some lisp code...
on 24 February 2012
ANSI Common LISP explains the details of LISP. While it is not as nice to read as some of the less language and more problem oriented books such as Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp,Land of Lisp: Learn to Program Lisp, One Game at a Time!: Learn to Program in Lisp, One Game at a Time! it excels because it covers a much wider range of LISP features.

Great book for an even greater language. I wouldn't recommend this for somebody who wants to learn what LISP is all about. For that I would recommed Land of LISP as it outlines the beauty (and difficulty) of LISP much better. But that's not what this is all about.
on 28 July 2013
This was a really helpful book it helped me understand Lisp so that I could pass my AI module at University.