on 12 August 2012
Difficult book to review I guess as I have mixed feelings concerning the exercises. When I first got this book for my computer science course I found it to be almost useless. When I got stuck on an exercise then that was it until I could speak to a lecturer or post on the forums.

I have no patience for this type of approach as it wastes my time and other people's time. At this point I would have given it one star for sheer frustration.
Then I found the lecturers solutions and decided to - System.println("Borrow"); them.

WOW I wanted to punch the person who decided to leave these out of the book!
I worked my way through all the chapters and was actually enjoying myself a lot learning how to program java. I learned a lot about programming in a short space of time. I finished the module with a high grade.

I would recommend this book to everyone who is starting to learn programming from the very start but only if you can get your hands on the solutions. I don't care who says they are only for lecturers as there are reviews on here that share my initial frustration.

I will dish out the first 4 chapter solutions to anyone who leaves an e-mail address as a comment.
55 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 December 2003
this book does not deserve 4 stars, having bought this book for my computer science course, i found it to be completely useless and at best confusing. it doesn't help matters when the compiler and other programs included crash.
buy something else
44 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 November 2007
this is an excelent book, but definately NOT FOR THOSE TEACHING THEMSELVES.

The problem is that it is used in college courses, so there are no answers to the exercises. This means that if you are at home trying to learn Object Oriented Programming, and you have no tutor to ask, you don't know if you've got it right. And if you come across an exercise (as I have with 4.26) where you can see an answer but don't know how to code it, you're stuffed.

So, yes buy this book if you're part of an organised (college) course, but steer clear if you're on your own trying to teach yourself.

Edit - post finishibg the book:
There is a mailing list (objects-first-discussion@bluej.org) but don't ask directly for answers to the exercises, but phrase your questions to show what bits you understand but which bits you need hints with.

The answer to the exercise I mention has "ugly" syntax - you can have () at other places apart from right at the end of a dotted list.

But one last thing, this book does give you a real feel for what objects are and what you can do with/to them, as such it is invaluable to OOP.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 June 2011
Didn't have the version number of the book anywhere on the page. It is an out of date book and I've probably failed my exams due to it. Thanks.
on 18 May 2006
This is a great book, I would give it 6 stars if I was allowed to. It seems to have 2 things which all other books lack: it teaches from 'the beginning' and it is packed with useful exercises. The author expains the concepts of object oriented programming (in java but the concepts are useful for many other languages!) very well, he doesn't introduce inheritance until half way through the book and by the time he does, you are really ready for it due to the excellent teaching structure of the book. The author seems to have a great way of making you do exercises and getting you to ask yourself questions like 'wouldn't it be handy if there was something like subclassing?', and then surprise surprise!, the next section is on subclassing!

As I said, many other books seem to introduce loads of theory without giving yu any practice. This book gets you practicing and then thinking of the theory youself.

This book works for a range of people. It is great for beginners (although I highly recommend that you do every exercise), but I am sure that many experienced programmers would find it very useful too, at least for brushing up on certain concepts....
11 Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 January 2017
Started to learn Objective Orientated Programming at university and wanted a book to help me learn. This book is great it has everything you need in it to fully understand the concepts. It goes without saying that you obviously need to ensure that you are practicing as opposed to just reading. If you are studying at university then this book will help you with the theory as well.
on 14 June 2013
firstly there is no real-life java code in here! secondly, as many have said, there are no answers to exercises, and the author shamelessly tells you to source your answers from other books... why on earth did i waste so much money on this book then?! the author assumes that wanna-be-programmers are idiots who cannot possible understand oop in less than a lifetime, unless it is with the use of this dumbed down book. so he tries to bring objects closer to an average student, by hiding the real code from them and therefore robbing them of a having their own code ever succesfully compiled by anything other than bluej.
on 17 May 2016
By using this book I have averaged 97% on my programming modules so far at university, with no previous coding experience. It starts out differently to most books and rather than teach you what to type to do certain things, it explains what happens and why so you can figure things out for yourself, which is a much more useful tool in programming that knowing how to println.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 October 2013
I got this because my university told me to for year 1 Java. Don't waste your money. I didn't find it very clear at all and struggled through year 1.

Instead I would strongly recommend Head First Design Patterns. Although it seems specific (design patterns) & so might be for more experienced people it actually explains the basic structure of Java code and OO programming for those with no experience. And it does it so much clearer than Objects First with Java. It basically saved me during second year and I comfortably graduated with a first.
on 14 December 2005
Had my first taste of BlueJ as a college student at Bell College Hamilton, my Java skills have increased tremendously mainly due to the principles and concepts learned from BlueJ.
This book stands miles above all Beginner java book's on the market today. The book comes with its own IDE "BlueJ". The book focuses early on Classes, Objects and clearly explains the concepts with little regard to code. The book then invites the reader to open up example projects with the BlueJ IDE and gets the user to create objects from the classes then examine the methods, again paying little attention to coding (There is plenty of coding and exercises in this book, but kept to minimum at this stage as it’s vital to understand the concepts related with classes and objects and methods). This then enables the user to better visualize abstract concepts and object behavior.
The book uses an iterative approach and user finds that principles taught in the book are used throughout the book. The book teaches you to code practical programs such as a Database to contain CD and Video objects; most importantly it stimulates your mind and imagination. This enables the user to find other ways to apply the concepts to other problems. The book gets you to into the habit of thinking of items as objects. Plain and simple BlueJ gives you the right amount of Java knowledge without going into unnecessary details and allows the user to see the big picture and enable them to successfully start understanding more advanced Java material.
When I got to university the Students who used BlueJ at college were miles ahead in understanding Java language than those who had not. Most students who did not use BlueJ before university had a habit of writing procedural style programs with the Java
Recommended !