VINE VOICEon 31 July 2013
I already have a site that uses HTML5 it is fairly primitive. I am just dabbling with different options and short functions. So this book came just at the right time and the examples on the designated site help to understand what the book is trying to imply.

You do not want to overdo it and have the animation distract from the message. However some people gage your knowledge of the message by the sophistication of the presentation.

This is the language of the day and even if you do not apply it you should be aware of how it works and recognize it in other's sights. It may take some time to go through the book. If you know what you are looking for you can skip parts. I on the other hand am going from front to back and adjusting as I go.

Just a quick note for iOS users this was designed around iOS5 and iOS6 is out. I expect that informit-dot-com will make any corrections needed.
on 27 December 2013
Programming can be a chore at times but this book shows there are still some fields where you can get instant gratification. The short examples show some really powerful techniques and impressive effects that you can achieve in about 30 minutes.

I have to say this book has really kickstarted my love for graphics programming again, which like many, was the reason I got into this field. It's really well written and the "tips" given are quite insightful and useful.

My only gripe is that the code examples on the Kindle aren't as clear as they could be (the text is a bit corrupted) you can still read what's been written, hence no deduction in score, but it did take a bit longer to understand the code than it really should of.
on 21 February 2015
Part of what led me to select this book was the full-colour code listings. This is no guarantee of quality, but I think it is a positive indicator - it shows that some thought and effort has gone into it. I'm only a couple of chapters into the book, but I so far am impressed. Unlike when reading almost all technical computing books, I have not screamed out loud once yet! Normally, I am screaming either because the author has just used a new term/concept without any proper explanation; or because the author has adopted a cloyingly patronising style in an attempt to make it look beginner-friendly; or, all-too-often a combination of both. Geary manages to find just the right balance for me - readable, clear, reasonably-paced. And, looking ahead in the book, I'm impressed at the way the examples build up - even to a complete pinball game. Being able to download all the code and try them straight away without typing is also very useful.
on 18 February 2013
The book is exactly what it say it is, and that is an excellent introduction and reference to canvas tecniques. It requires prior knowledge to Javascript and HTML(5) in general.
on 5 November 2013
down to the html 5 specification, it also covers mobile development, recommended for all developers planning to take advantage of the html canvas element
on 3 November 2012
useful. don't like kindle format but that is not the fault of the book. however you can download all the source code which is excellent and really usefull