on 21 March 2010
C++ GUI Programming with Qt4 by Jasmin Blanchette and Mark Summerfield. Prentice Hall

Qt is a C++ cross platform library. It started out as a GUI library, but it has long outgrown that, and it's starting to look more and more like a comprehensive cross platform framework. It's also gaining new features very fast, which is something of a problem for any author.

None the less, this book will provide application programmers with a solid foundation when they come to use Qt. When I did a comparative review of Qt books on my web site last year I didn't have access to this book. However, I recently used a colleague's copy at work, and found it so much more useful, and comprehensive, than my other Qt books, including the earlier edition of this book, that I bought my own copy out of my first paycheck! What better recommendation could you want?

This book is a must for those who need to use the entire framework, since it covers far more than just the GUI, including multithreading, networking (note, though, that it doesn't cover using the QNetAccessManager, which arrived after the book went to print), 3D graphics, using databases, and extending Qt programs with Javascript.

The one real weakness of the book, probably caused by the rapid development of the framework, is that the GUI material basically assumes that the reader wants to program the GUI facilities directly instead of using Designers and/or Creator. I've noticed that there is a little bit of snobbishness in the Qt community, with the old guard maintaining that the only way to work in Qt is via direct programming. Hopefully the next edition of the book will teach GUI programming via the Creator IDE, and the Designer. Lets just see if we can break the 'real programmers program in noughts and ones' attitude in parts of the community :)

So would I recommend this book? Wholeheartedly. My current job has taken me into realms of the Qt framework I've never used before, and this book enabled me to get up speed very fast under a schedule that was very, very, tight.

Highly recommended.
11 people found this helpful
on 15 March 2012
I have managed to write a program which works for calculating sines, tangents & cosines, including the hypotenuse length using this book. However, I was assisted by also looking on the Internet as this book uses coding to reach the final goal, rather than the "simpler" Qt Creator. It is, I think a very good book but you need to know quite a lot of the C++ language to understand what you are doing & it is expected that you know this. I have made quite a few programs using Microsoft Visual Basic express edition, this is similar, but a lot more complicated. There are a lot of Qt commands which are used for Qt only, which are not explained well - for me. I shall progress & hopefully light will shine at the end of the tunnel!
on 10 August 2016
A fine book for any IT library
on 4 May 2015
Good book as described
on 8 September 2014
good book with some good examples.
on 1 October 2010
The best way to learn a language or a library is to get down to using it as soon as you can and finding out what you need to know as you need it. This book tries to teach you as if you're reading it from cover to cover in sequential order whilst laying down in bed. It's not a book for to sit beside you at the desk.

The main problem is that the code is all broken up and separated by paragraphs of text so you have to scan back and forth to refresh your memory. You can't look at the code as a complete unit and get an overview of what's going on. This also makes it a terrible reference book. If I want to find out how to use a component, I need to sift through pages of dense text to try and find the information that I need. Instead I find myself wanting to reach for the book and then thinking better of it and using a search engine instead to try and find an example bit of code. Qt looks like it should be nice and simple to learn, and it would be were it not for books like this.
5 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2010
Got this book as I was having trouble learning how to use Qt and there aren't enough tutorials online at the moment. The book has images showing the different type of widgets available and how to use them. You can read through the first few chapters to get started and then use the entire book as a reference. There are also lots of code snippets so you can see how to implement the widgets into your own applications. Has sped up my developments!

I've not come across any errors in the book yet although there are no doubt some
5 people found this helpful
on 2 December 2012
This book certainly contains the right material, and will get you up to speed with QT. However it builds components in horizontal slices, leading to slow progress. Would have been better to build the system using vertical slices that provide rapid feedback to the user.
on 24 October 2012
NB I am reviewing the Kindle edition of this book and I have scored it 2. The book itself gets a 4.

This is the first text book I have bought as a Kindle edition, and part of my reason for doing so was to see if this is a viable alternative to a paper copy. (I am an IT professional and I have over a hundred texts on my shelves. I am reading this book on the Kindle for Android app on an Asus Transformer tablet: 9 1/4" screen).

This is a useful text (for its target audience - which as other reviewers have noted is programmers who are already familiar with C++ and have some notion of GUI development and want to learn about Qt). I have been able to make use of the kindle edition, with the ASUS on the desk next to my development machine; However I am not sure it is a replacement for paper yet:

1) Poor navigation

It is not easy to "flip around" the book. The bookmarks/notes facility helps a bit, but see below. An ability to see the contents section in one pane, and a page in another would be a great boon. Or a scrolling "thumbnails" pane, as seen in most PDF viewers. Also text expands to a larger font size, but diagrams don't expand.

2) Poor bookmarks/Notes

The bookmarks facility is not really useful because neither the numerical location nor the text displayed (taken from the top of the page) are meaningful to the reader who created the bookmark. The Notes facility is a partial fix to this but it is pretty hard to use on the Android app. (Also it should be possible to sort on the note text). A graphical representation more similar to a book with post-its protruding might also help.

3) No index

There actually is an index but it doesn't work. There is no way to get from an indexed term to a location in the text. This works on another book so I know it is not the Android app causing the problem. I know what people will say: you do not need an index - use the search facility! But when I search for QString I get over 500 hits throughout the book. Not useful. I want a link to the main section at which QString is discussed. That is what a professional indexer does, and it can not be automated. Kindle will not be a viable replacement for a printed text book until working indexes are translated into the kindle edition.

4) Multiple texts?

I often need several texts open on the desk in front of me. Eg a C++ text, a MySQL text and a GUI Toolkit test. How can I do that with a Kindle? Actually it takes only two clicks to get between kindle books, each at its own remembered place. But a one-click solution would be much better. (Eg open books displayed as tabs).

I don't know if an actual Kindle (as opposed to the Android app) would fix some of these problems. If it does please let me know. But my view at present is that while a Kindle edition may be a good choice for a holiday novel that you want to read in a linear straight-through fashion, it needs some work before it can usefully replace paper text books.
One person found this helpful
on 5 June 2010
This isn't a great book. As an introduction to Qt it is somewhat limited. It doesn't really describe the basis of Qt. Instead it shows a series of examples on how to program some limited code.
2 people found this helpful