on 4 May 2015
Good book as described
on 24 October 2012
NB I am reviewing the Kindle edition of this book and I have scored it 2. The book itself gets a 4.

This is the first text book I have bought as a Kindle edition, and part of my reason for doing so was to see if this is a viable alternative to a paper copy. (I am an IT professional and I have over a hundred texts on my shelves. I am reading this book on the Kindle for Android app on an Asus Transformer tablet: 9 1/4" screen).

This is a useful text (for its target audience - which as other reviewers have noted is programmers who are already familiar with C++ and have some notion of GUI development and want to learn about Qt). I have been able to make use of the kindle edition, with the ASUS on the desk next to my development machine; However I am not sure it is a replacement for paper yet:

1) Poor navigation

It is not easy to "flip around" the book. The bookmarks/notes facility helps a bit, but see below. An ability to see the contents section in one pane, and a page in another would be a great boon. Or a scrolling "thumbnails" pane, as seen in most PDF viewers. Also text expands to a larger font size, but diagrams don't expand.

2) Poor bookmarks/Notes

The bookmarks facility is not really useful because neither the numerical location nor the text displayed (taken from the top of the page) are meaningful to the reader who created the bookmark. The Notes facility is a partial fix to this but it is pretty hard to use on the Android app. (Also it should be possible to sort on the note text). A graphical representation more similar to a book with post-its protruding might also help.

3) No index

There actually is an index but it doesn't work. There is no way to get from an indexed term to a location in the text. This works on another book so I know it is not the Android app causing the problem. I know what people will say: you do not need an index - use the search facility! But when I search for QString I get over 500 hits throughout the book. Not useful. I want a link to the main section at which QString is discussed. That is what a professional indexer does, and it can not be automated. Kindle will not be a viable replacement for a printed text book until working indexes are translated into the kindle edition.

4) Multiple texts?

I often need several texts open on the desk in front of me. Eg a C++ text, a MySQL text and a GUI Toolkit test. How can I do that with a Kindle? Actually it takes only two clicks to get between kindle books, each at its own remembered place. But a one-click solution would be much better. (Eg open books displayed as tabs).

I don't know if an actual Kindle (as opposed to the Android app) would fix some of these problems. If it does please let me know. But my view at present is that while a Kindle edition may be a good choice for a holiday novel that you want to read in a linear straight-through fashion, it needs some work before it can usefully replace paper text books.
on 2 December 2012
This book certainly contains the right material, and will get you up to speed with QT. However it builds components in horizontal slices, leading to slow progress. Would have been better to build the system using vertical slices that provide rapid feedback to the user.
on 5 June 2010
This isn't a great book. As an introduction to Qt it is somewhat limited. It doesn't really describe the basis of Qt. Instead it shows a series of examples on how to program some limited code.
on 10 April 2009
Received this product which should have never been released in the format it arrived in. The cover was upside down making the contents back to front. Obviously an error which proves their quality control is nonexistant It would be unfair to leave a review under these circumstances, but, Zero points for quality
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse