Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 2008
This book is, believe it or not, a page turner! Yes, dear friends, you heard me. I know how boooorrriiing and dry can technical books of this sort be, but this one -- I actually read the whole of the Introduction chapter (which I do very rarely), then continued on to the first chapter, then the next, and next,... I read through the first 52 pages of the book in just a couple of hours!
The book is very reader-friendly, witty, interesting, and simply great!
I am now in the third year of a Software Engineering course and this book is certainly very helpful. With its help I hope to submit an extremely well readable and structured code to my final year project. I recommend this book to everyone!
on 9 March 2013
If you have 7+ years of java development dont buy it.

This book was highly recommended to me.

This book will help junior developers short cut the process to become developers or senior developers.
The author does some things to death, like the chapter on comments. However he does make many valid points that are good to bear in mind.

Most of what he has said took me some time to work out for myself.

There are many worked exercises in the book to illustrate his points, which is good.

The only one example I'd disagree with is the sieve of eratosthenes. This code has stood the test of time (30 years), and the guy rewrites it. Its not even thread safe.

However having had 15 years development experience there was not much to learn.
on 16 September 2015
This book is a must, especially for junior to midlevels developers and for whoever doesn't know about what Clean Code means. Reading this book, improved by far my way of writing and thinking about code. As soon as I started reading it, I realized how much I was missing something like this.
Simple and clear, it is a precious book with wonderful concepts, for any developer of any language (even if the examples in the book are in Java).
Highly recommended.
on 28 April 2009
A decent enough manual, with some good basic beginners stuff. Couple of worrying examples ( e.g. code simply consuming exceptions and returning empty vectors as if nothing has gone wrong - perhaps there was a context for it but I think it encourages a poor approach to exception handling - if you cant deal with it don't consume it!).

For more advanced stuff I would advise "Joel on software" , which whilst older feels like it has a lot more genuine developer experience wedged inside it.
on 19 January 2010
There's no denying that this is a great book. It's easy to read, has some great examples and is a must for every developer. I will certainly be keeping this title on my desk and referring back to it regularly. Having 15 years experience of software development, there wasn't much that I found to be startlingly new, but it was nice to have all the guidelines listed in one excellent source. I have certainly cleaned up my code since reading this book and corrected some sloppy practices that I had fallen in to.

That said, there are a number of reasons why this could not be given a 5-start rating:

Firstly the chapters on concurrency seem like a waste of space in this title. There are many better books on writing concurrent code and I didn't find anything in the concurrency chapters specific to clean code that wasn't covered elsewhere in the book.

Secondly, I felt that in some cases the book was preaching a single correct way of working for some highly subjective and debatable coding styles. While I respect the author's opinion on this, a bit more time spent on debating the different options might have helped with understanding the authors intentions and point of view. Since reading this book I've tried to convert a number of colleagues to the rules in this book but have often found the lack of advantages and argument points a real hinderance in getting them on board.

Finally, the case study chapters that form the second half of this book could be better. The introduction promise these to be 'intensely challenging, taking days'. I was expecting some really challenging puzzles and questions to work through. Instead you are just presented with before and after style listings and a brief discussion of the rationale used to transform from one to the other. As a strong Java developer, the code was easy to follow and the refactorings quite obvious. I managed to work my way through all the case studies in a couple of hours with no problem - slightly disappointing given the promise of the introduction.
on 10 February 2014
Experience is the most important feature for a software engineer, but it might take years to build. This book gives you a practical approach on how to face every day problems, so your code is cleaner and easier to read. Cleaner code results in better, more concrete solutions, which are easier to test and maintain. Don't expect a revelation. It's just a nice book to make you put all those little things you've figured out or will figure out yourself in order.
on 20 March 2015
Every developer must read this. My advice, though, is unless you like reading Java code dumps: skip the middle section. Read the first half dozen chapters, and the appendices. Skip the case studies. That said, it is still a must read. It's gold.
on 20 March 2009
It is the most up to date and succinct piece of writing regarding the construction of good software from the ground up as well as tackling legacy code. It's jam packed full of gems and practical advice that you can apply immediately. There is no fluff and no waffling, the examples are awesome (all in Java although I code in C#) and apply to "real world" problems that we face every day. There is no way you'll put this book down after reading it and just forget about the lessons like so many other books.
on 4 April 2016
This book somehow manages to take a relatively dull subject and actually make it entertaining, and practical. The book starts off by explaining with good examples why certain practices can be misleading, it then goes on to explain possible suggestions - it is very clear that this is by no means the only good way to do things which I think is great. Then after explaining numerous bad practices to you as well as ways to tidy things up it provides numerous examples that allow you to actually try to pick up what you've learned. This is brilliant because at least in my case I cannot remember anything without practicing it.
on 26 October 2012
If you're new to software then I guess there is SOME good advice here but I found some astonishingly wrong statements in here like 'methods should do just one thing' with an example showing a method doing.... TWO.... things! Or using constants unless the 'magic number' is so obvious that a constant isn't needed. Here is a direct quote: 'And in the FEET_PER_MILE case, the number 5280 is so very well know and so unique a constant that readers would recognize it even if it stood alone on a page with no context surrounding it.' No, I didn't know that either (we live in the 21st century in Europe) but this guy can't see that a physicist might immediately recognise Plank's constant while the system admin guy fixing CERN's outage at 3am on Christmas morning is less likely to be familiar with this. He's got helpful advice like 'variables should be well named' (as if other books say they should be as badly named as possible). Its page after page of waffle, opinion, inaccuracies, contradictions and basically not worth the money. Buy Martin Fowler's Refactoring book instead - the advice is more concise and focused on the really critical areas of code and actually serves real world examples with solutions.

I'll give it 3 stars for the newbie programmers (no more) and 1 star for experienced programmers who want to improve their skills.