on 4 January 2014
This book is certainly not for beginners. It is for anyone who wants to get very serious about programming. I think the book could have been shorter by leaving out pages of examples (since the target audience is advanced developers as well). I think this is probably the best development book I've ever read.
on 13 September 2013
Every software developer should read this book.
It's packed with information and examples by an author who has been there and done it.
And actually invented quite a lot of it.
If we all read this book, work would be so much more productive.
One person found this helpful
on 12 May 2017
Excellent book. This book goes into a lot of details and explains how to develop clean and robust software.
on 2 February 2013
A lot of technical discussion and samples of design patterns and coding principles. Only introductory discussion of Agile practices.

I learn many things from the design patterns and coding discussion, but the author likes to repeat things and "force" some of his opinions. And there is not a lot of discussion about agile practices in general.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 12 June 2010
I have a bookshelf groaning with books on C# and agile software development. This is without doubt the best I've read. Robert Martin has somehow managed to distil his experience of many years into one cohesive tome, which is easy to read and provides practical advice on all aspects of development - agile, TDD, UML and design patterns.

As for the previous reviewer who gave this a ludicrous 1 star review and suggests the GOF as a better alternative, I would suggest that he is either an abstract genius, or has never actually read the GOF stuff and is just name-checking this in a poseur like fashion!

For the rest of us, this is probably as good as it gets.
7 people found this helpful
on 12 December 2012
I have a positive attitude towards this book due to the fact that I have read other books in the same series, such as The Clean Coder and Clean Code. The previous books have given me a good motivation and insight what to look for in this book.
on 29 December 2014
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 16 December 2015
Great Booj
on 3 August 2010
I was impressed with this book, it is easy to read and has many useful points in it. It does occasionally labour points and in parts could be clearer, but all in all it is a well written and helpful book.

For an introduction to the SOLID principles, which is what I bought it for, it was excellent.

If you want a book that gives an introduction to Agile as a whole it is not the best available.
5 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2009
I bought this book in the expectation that it would give a solid introduction to various agile methods - both coding principles as well as agile processes. It turned out to be focused primarily on coding principles ... of course, when you think about it ... it does after all focus on C# principles, patterns and practicies. You will see lots of coding examples (too many in my opinion) and very little about the agile processes around the actual coding. So it sure does deliver what it promisses: you will see how to actually implement coding patterns in C#.

If this is your first book on good object oriented patterns and practices then it's a good buy. If you already know your patterns, well, then it's a good brush up worth reading anyway.

If your are looking for a book on agile process like XP and Scrum then this is the wrong book.

As a senior C# programmer on my job I will certainly recomend new colleges to read this book.
11 people found this helpful