on 11 March 1999
Kinda hard to hold the book while holding-up both your thumbs... An excellent book, highly recommended. I have been designing operating systems for well over a decade, and this is a worthy addition to my bookshelf. However, if you need an introductory text, I instead would recommend Tanenbaum's Operating Systems Design and Implementation.
VINE VOICEon 3 April 2010
There are those of us who would just like to use the UNIX operating system. Then there are those curious people that want to know what are the inode is, and the Super block is, and how is the directory structure made?

Most of us would be satisfied, if someone said the inode was a file. Then there are those, who say "Oh know you don't. What is its structure?" I say, "just read Unix Internals"
on 24 September 2012
This book is about Unix architecture internals. If you would like to familiarize yourself with the most advanced topics of processes, kernel and CPU life, this book is definitely for you. The text is complex but does a great job in addressing many fundamental questions. Reading this book is a serious business. You need to mark the pages and google a lot to stay on top of it. The effort is very rewarding and would give you a deep understanding of what going on the boxes under your responsibility.

Please keep in mind that this book is not an introduction to Linux and may be an overkill if your job involves just basic day to day administration.

I would also recommend this publication if you would like to start C Programming as it gives you a very good insight on Unix/Linux internals.

My copy of this book was published in 2003. Therefore, it's an old book but most of the concepts are still valid. Looking forward for a new edition. Count me in!
on 17 April 2000
I've been involved with operating systems for 25 Years. With respect to the Unix operating system, this book is clear and to the point. All system admins should have one so they know what is really goin on under the hood!
on 2 November 2013
Even if written in the far 1996, the vast majority of this book is still the most accurate description of how UNIX systems work. I have already read it in the past but I wanted my personal copy at home, and, even used, this book's conditions are great.