on 30 August 2002
I own or have read many of the Deitel & Deitel: How to program series (C++, C, E-Business, The Internet, C/C++ Cyber Classroom, & XML). The Deitels are indeed very profficient and prolific with intro programming texts. However, the C++ text is, IMHO (in my humble opinion) highly over-rated. Some of the reasons I will discuss below:
The size is unjustly (but significantly) inflated due to its repetition of all the hints, tips, observations, etc. that are presented within each of the chapters and re-iterated at the end of each chapter.
The sections on pointers were not the best I've seen -- and this is such a critical part of C/C++.
The formatting of the book (and indeed nearly the whole Deitel and Deitel "How To..." Series) is simply bad. All the programming hints, Software Engineering obsevations, portability tips, common programming errors, etc. are colour coded so that the text looks like a wall-paper sample book. It reminds me of some poor web-sites that use every colour and flashing item possible. Worse, these are (randomly?) spread throughout each chapter in the middle of the text so that it interrupts every groove you get into. (reading texts is not a quick process with the best of texts...so I don't appreciate being interrupted every 60 seconds.)
The result is that the text takes much longer to get through, since you are constantly being interrupted. Most other texts would use separate sections, or text boxes or something. Putting all these superfluous comments interspersed makes the reading hard-going.
Another thing that is starting to bother me about this and other D&D books is the repetition. As I've said, I've bought lots of their texts, and I feel I've paid several times over for similar content. (For example the C text contains a couple of chapters on C++, many of the books have similar introductory chapters...)
My biggest gripe perhaps is the introduction of object-oriented S/W development. Sorry guys but the Elevator example (which is addressed ad infinitum) is poor. It is discontinuous. There is little flow. I would have preferred something that was more clear with respect to the S/W development process for O-O...sadly missing.
Finally, I found many of the programming examples disappointing. Although they may have demonstrated individual concepts well, I did not get the sense of how it all fits together. I would have preferred the examples to be cumulative. By this I mean that the readers should be developing systems from the examples...not just simple programs. This would give a much better view as to how everything fits together from methodologies through to functionality to syntax. (it also would have been nice if there was an additional section on the MFC (Microsoft foundation classes).
on 3 May 2002
I found this book informative and accessible. I do have a background in Java, but never programmed in C++ before. I was able to lift this book, and after a little reading write C++ programs.
There are plenty of code samples, and good explainations of this code. Any questions I have had, the answers have been in this book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wanted to learn C++.
on 13 January 2001
Clear, thorough, very interesting and an engaging way to learn C++. I have been off work ill and took to learning C++ to pass the hours, this book has enabled me to get to grips with a very challenging topic.
on 9 October 2000
I have used this book for my degree course and it is excellent. The book proceeds in a methodical manner and the code listings are v useful. There is also a VC++ CD to create your own programs.
on 11 February 2001
I purchased the 2nd edition and its a really good book well worth investing in. I've even found myself wanting to buy edition 3, its that good. The book demonstrates some complex techniques in an easy to understand structure.
on 6 March 2001
This book is just fab. A must have for all beginners and professionals alike. Clearly written and easy to understand. This book is made for everyone. Get it and you'll be mesmerized!!Highly recommended!!
on 14 March 2001
I bought the first edition of this book in University in 95 and I still use it sometimes as a reference book.
It is an absolutely outstanding introduction to C++, with very wide and relatively deep coverage of the core language. The code examples are illustrate the points very well and there is minimal clutter
Those who don't have C programming skills will find that isn't a problem, as the book puts you right there in the middle of C++. It's only a shame that some of the C functions (such as streams, files, etc) are not given any space. In real situations (such as legacy systems) C functions are sometimes found insterspersed in C++ code and this book won't help you with that, so beware!
on 10 July 2001
The book is good but many new programmers and students find difficulties in learning it the way it is presented. Much and more time has to be spent by your willingness in order to learn the obstacles of C++.
on 4 May 2001
I used an earlier version of this in college and wrestled with the language in vain. Got Stroustroup's third edition, plain sailing since. However Bjarne's book requires that you have a functioning brain... Anyone who claims to use it as a reference is definately not a C++ programmer, perhaps a wannabe. This book is Boyzone in the literary sense, good marketing, [rubbish] otherwise....