Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 1999
With this book the authors have filled a gaping void in the CORBA literature: to describe in usable, practical terms the design of high-end, production CORBA systems.
I have years of experience in CORBA, and I learned a lot from this book. The sections on database integration, persistence, and transactions are invaluable, and you just can't get it anywhere else.
The book is quite well-written, notable for its clarity of exposition and organized presentation.
I found the most salient feature of this book was that it made CORBA seem exciting! It described how to design and architect really interesting CORBA systems, with patterns that show how to do replication, fault-tolerance, distributed transactionality. The book also does a good job of distinguishing between parts of CORBA that exist only on paper and the parts that are really implemented. Some authors are unrealistic in their assessment of the state of the CORBA.
I had two complaints. First, I would have liked to have seen much more detailed examples and code samples. Second, the authors seem to suggest that GUI tools are akin to ease-of-use - they mention several times how GUI-based tools will make CORBA easier to use. I have never felt that GUI tools are necessarily related to ease-of-use, and indeed their use I think can lead to maintenance problems. (For instance, the authors say they look forward to GUI tools coming out of Borland/Inprise). I think a clean, well-documented API; a robust ORB; and a good set of examples; and emacs; is much more useful than some fancy tool. But I'm maybe out of step with fashion here.
In summary, this is absolutely a must-have book for anyone involved in CORBA! For beginners, it opens vistas; for experts, it has something to teach; for developers, it is a reference, chock full of ideas.
on 21 April 1999
First off - let me come clean : I'm biased!!!
The authors are all Senior Consultants in our Professional Services Group at IONA Technologies.
I'll limit my review to saying this: if you are seeking real, practical advice on how to actually build a CORBA system - then I believe this book is a must-have.
To my mind, the authors have zoned in on the key topics we see again and again when building systems - object location and naming, scaling, performance, database integration, etc. You get the necessary fragments of code, IDL, design and architecture to ensure you can really understand the issues and apply it to your own situation.
Because it's based on experience on the field, the book has a "been there, done that" feel to it - but it manages to avoid being overly didactic or preachy. The authors are very clear to identify open issues where they exist, and manage to group their topics to that beginners and experts alike will gain from their experience.
All in all, the CORBA development community sorely needed a book like this, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone building or thinking about building a distributed system. This book will save you time.
Now - roll on the second revision!! :-)
Sean O Sullivan, Professional Services, IONA Technologies
on 23 March 1999
This book does a *great* job of explaining the design issues that must be considered when building large-scale CORBA systems.
The parts on IDL design, fault tolerance and load balancing, and database integration were particularly helpful to me.
The knowledge in this book will be extremely useful for anyone designing or implementing a CORBA system, regardless of the ORB product being used.
on 19 November 1999
It's a real joy to read this book. I found both a confirmation to some of my expreirnce from previous real life projects and some new exciting ideas! The book is very honest pointing out both the weak and strong areas of CORBA.
It should be read by any one interested in advanced & architecture issues or CORBA, but is a real hit for the Orbix community.
on 22 June 1999
I found this book to be quite up-to-date. It spends a considerable amount of time examining the POA and discusses many of the pieces of the CORBA3 specification individually. However the most valuable aspect was its coverage of distributed system design issues which are widely applicable across different technologies.
on 18 April 1999
The thing I like most about this book, is that it is written from the architecture perspective. Many of the principles in this book apply not only to CORBA, but any distributed object system - even those built with RMI or DCOM.
I totally recommend this book to anyone building a distributed object system.
on 7 May 1999
I don't want to say that this is a bad book, but it's not for anyone who'd like to see examples implementing some of the concepts they write about. There are only snippets of CORBA IDL. If you're one of those people, save your money for Advanced Corba Programming with C++. I should have.
on 11 June 1999
The CORBA 3 spec is about to be finalized and this book doesn't mention word one about it. Don't buy this book and wait for an update. Better yet, find a superior book on CORBA (there are many) and save your money on this one!
on 1 July 1999
This book could have been subtitled "The Science of Application Servers." Well-written and extremely comprehensive!