Customer reviews

on 20 August 1999
I have no hesitation recommending this book.
I agree with Graham Tuthills's assessment of this book - it provides an excellent framework for self study towards CCIE and will prove to be a useful reference.
The book covers in a good level of detail all of the areas required by the CCIE syllabus at the moment (including ATM). On its own, the book would not be sufficient to achieve the skills required for CCIE, but I don't think that would be possible in a single book. It is as close as could be expected in a single volume. It provides an excellent structure on which to base self study, through further reading, the labs and scenarios described in the book and other information sources.
The style is clear and easy to read, and it is a good complement to the Cisco publications. There are relatively few typos, with the exception of the Cisco output, which often has the columns displaced from the headings.
on 11 January 1999
This has to be the best book I have to date on Cisco, and I have many. It is clear and easy to read. Every section includes a "spot the issue" where you are given a config or wriiten problem that you have to comment on, answers given at the back of the book.
For me it is the first book that covers in depth both switching and routing, with configuration examples for both. It is also up todate with references to the 8500.
To gain the most from the book you must have access to Cisco equipment, and have some grounding in the technologies covered. It is no a book for the beginner.
I have no reservation in recomending this book . It is an excellent book both as reference and as a tutorial.
on 13 August 2001
This book is good ,no this book is great. Very explanatory, good examples, excellent scenarios. With a thousand pages and thirty three chapters it is quite a chunk but very interestingly delivered. I feel so much confident having gone 75% of the book. The only thing is that i wish it had more diagrams
You ain't serious about your CCIE untill you have this one in your kit
Tade Adekola
on 11 December 1999
Got this book at the start of 99. I passed my CCIE in May 99 ! This book assumes you know the basics of networks & concentrates on each topic in a good deal of depth. ATM/FR/IP Routing/IPX/Apple/ISDN its all in here with lots of good lab senarios for you to practice. I still carry this book around as a very useful reference book(its a bit heavy though).
on 15 November 2000
I have worked with a few people who have studied (and passed) CCIE. We all found that our copies of "Caslow" formed the backbone of our studies. It's the "dog's proverbials"! We would all like to thank the author for such a "spot-on" book.
on 5 November 1998
Having taken the Bridges, Routers and Switches course taught by Caslow, the content of which I'm sure is in his book, I can't find a better way to prep for the exam. Except taking the exam of course.
on 31 August 1999
There is a lot of information in this book but you might as well read the Cisco web site pages - or the local telephone directory for a more interesting evening! There are not the drill questions that would really bring the information home and the important information is submerged within some of the most impenetrable verbage ever to have crossed the Atlantic.
Obviously rushed out to catch the Cisco Certification rush, I would not recommend that you rush to buy this book - at least not with your own money!
on 14 December 2015
Fast delivery, happy with product.