on 24 November 2002
I've been badgering everyone I know to get this book, and finally one of my badgerees said I should tell everyone on Amazon and stop bugging my friends. All right, here it is.
I started using StarOffice two years ago at work and couldn't figure out a thing. Everyone else was in the same boat. Then my manager ordered a bunch of these Companion thingies and I started looking at the index every time I needed to do something. Shazam. It was there. I looked up something else. It was there too (doing cross references in Writer). And when I needed to print multiple headings out of Calc on multiple pages, there it was, in the index and with all the steps to do it, very simple and clear. My favorite is the "Turning Off Annoying Features" section. It showed me how to turn off all the annoying MS-paperclip-like things that waste your time.
So eventually we all figured out that StarOffice actually can do a lot of things, and it's not that hard, but you can't figure it out without a book. It's easy when you know how. And this book tells you how. Get it before you lose anymore hair or flatten your forehead anymore.
on 9 May 2001
StarOffice may not be the market leader in office applications, but it is certainly a lot cheaper than most (free if you download it from the Internet) and provides a unified way of working with spreadsheets, documents, presentations, etc. I have read other guides to StarOffice but found this Companion answered all my questions and showed me how to perform advanced formatting tasks that I was familiar with in MS Office.
Definitely one for the briefcase!
on 17 May 2001
StarOffice 5.2 Companion is a great book, not only for new users but also for users coming from MS Office. It explains very clearly how to work with documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and the use of databases. Besides this it gives you a lots of tips and hints. It makes you in a short time familiar with the program.
on 16 December 2002
We were quite dependent on this book for the first month or so of using StarOffice, and then ordered the 6.0 update to this book once we decided to switch to StarOffice 6.0. It's very nicely written, well organized, and it is easy to find the instructions for what one needs to do.
on 8 December 2002
I have only recently started using computers, with rather more reluctance than appropriate, at the urging of my son who claims I will never see my future grandchildren's pictures if he cannot email them to me! He installed StarOffice for me, assured me it would open all of the Microsoft files that I would encounter, and then thrust this book into my hands and told me that he would answer no questions about the program until I had read it.
That was a year ago and I am extremely proud to report that my son now calls me to find out how StarOffice works, and I simply look it up in the book and tell him.
I am also the expert at work on how to make StarOffice go, since we recently switched from the more expensive Microsoft Office.
I am quite pleased with this book and would recommend it to anyone who has found other books confusing or has found other books not to include the required information.
on 10 March 2001
Well - it's a good book on StarOffice. BUT - it does not contain StarOffice on CD-ROM. It states on page 5 that you may wish to buy a copy of StarOffice on CD-ROM, which seems odd.