Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive track - Ed Sheeran Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 18 December 2000
I bought this book on solely on the recommendation of various on-line reviews, as this book doesn't appear to be stocked by any of the major UK book retailers.
Having now had a chance to have a rummage through it, my initial impression is that's very good in some areas and poor in others.
Example of the good: it is excellent at explaining difficult ideas in a way that not only do you understand the immediate concept but your also able to relate it to other similar ideas and grow on it.
Example of the poor: I guess that the authors dropped the manuscript on a windy day while taking it to their publishers as the book seems to jump around all over the place. The book just doesn't seem to 'logically' progress in any coherent way that I can understand.
I also find it odd that a book that describes itself as ideal for undergrads assumes so little knowledge of 'basic' computing. It almost seems to be targeting the 'over 60's' in this respect.
I think that if you buy this book solely in the hope that it'll teach you Java your going to be disappointed. If you want to understand the concepts and do some working examples then I think that this is probably the book for you.
For those that really want to learn to code and go into the commercial sector then I can fully recommend....... Begining Java 2 JDK 1.3 by Ivor Horton printed by Wrox Press.
on 7 March 1999
A very easy book. I racomend it for those who don`t know anything about C++ or object-oriented programming. After one month, you will feel the need of a more advanced book.
on 8 February 1999
This is a simple, straight-forward book. Nothing is left uncovered. Working through all the exercises and examples I really learned Java the fun way, which, by the way, is the best way to learn anyway. I can recommend this book to any other student or anybody else who is into object-oriented programming.
on 15 March 2008
I found this book for a beginner in java to be very good.One point though.It is virtually the only book I have found to describe an example of construction method...building a house ..later deleted from later editions ..after 2001 I think..It is easy to understand and gives good examples...Could the author bring back the deleted method??
on 6 January 1999
This is an excellent beginners book. The best part for me as a teacher is that it explains concepts that I often overlook as too obvios, but continue to confuse students to no end. It is great to see a book that is thorough, straight forward and focuses on the important issues and doesn't attempt to cover every detail of Java.
on 29 January 2000
I found this book after a recommendation from a friend, and a rather unhappy introduction to Java through a less costly, but less easily understood book. This book is written well, describes everything in a clear concise way, without insulting your intelligence, and all with a sense of humour. The chapters are clear, and well arranged, and the self-test questions and excercises add to the overall readability of the book. If you are a newcomer to JAVA, as I am, you will find it a very good introduction to JAVA, and one which you will be recommending with enthusiasm to all of your JAVA interested friends. It may be more expensive than other introductions to JAVA, but with it being so easy to understand and digest, this will be an investment that will pay off...!
on 20 March 2001
I know one of the authors of this book, and having read a couple of reviews saying that it is simplistic, I would have to disagree. It is perfefctly aimed at the kinds of Students who i go to the University where they teach. A lot of them don't seem to know where the power supply is on a computer, let alone bits and bytes!