Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 July 2015
I loved the book, but I really can't give it the score it deserves because many of the online resources (such as example applications and source code) are completely missing.

The book itself is great, and gives a good broad overview of many concepts in Game AI. However, it often defers to the online resources for many examples. A lot of the concepts portrayed in the book are highly visual and hard to understand without seeing, however the majority of the examples programs are missing from the Github. Worse even, for any non-trivial source code the book will instead refer you to the website to see the code, leaving some important concepts without full implementation details.

I attempted to contact both the authors through multiple avenues to see this issue amended, but was left without a reply. Aside from my contact atttempts, on the Github you can also see a couple of issues listed by others about missing examples and/or source: https://github.com/idmillington/aicore/issues

Those issues only mention a few of the missing resources (and are left without a reply...), but in reality, the majority (at least 60% or 70%) of source and examples are missing. I can only imagine this happened when the codebase migrated to Github as mentioned on the ai4g.com website, over 4 years ago.

I'd love to give the book a higher review, but I simply cannot when vital components are missing and attempts at reporting this seemingly ignored by the authors.

If these issues are amended I will modify my review to take this into account.
on 27 July 2011
This is an excellent book, i'm reading it to get ahead for next year on games programming and doing artificial intelligence for one of my modules. The book goes in-depth into a lot of subjects and it will give you a very good understanding of how AI works in most modern games.

Definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn AI. Also the code samples you get are very good aswell as pseudo code for all of the subjects.

Only concern is sometimes it can go abit to much indepth and it can get abit boring but mostly good read.
on 16 October 2011
I bought this book in August for help on my final year university project. All I knew from the offset was that I planned on doing something related to AI. Having never been taught AI on my course it was hard to know where to begin but this book gave a great overview on so many different algorithms and areas (pathfinding, behaviour, strategy etc.) that I managed to pick a project idea and get a basic start on my research.
on 16 February 2013
I use this as one of my core books for Game AI modules I lecture on. Very good introduction to game AI with plenty of good examples for techniques.
on 17 November 2014
I haven't read it from cover to cover, but as a reference book I found it useful
on 26 January 2015
Useful book
on 14 January 2012
The authour lack an ability to convey simple ideas. A relatively simple idea
is made harder by his inability to express it in simple language. At times it
very amateurish in his attemp. The book is also riddled with many errors.