I've reached only partway into this book as it's actually aimed at folks who've nearly finished their degree or are starting post degree courses.

However even for my own level I can follow a lot of this, which speaks of the authors writing than of my own knowledge :).

They would get a 5 if they had more vivid illustrations. The drawings in it are ok, I would just have liked a little more detailed photos and graphics.

A DVD or CD would be nice too-but I'm spoilt by The Cell and one or two others.

I chose this over Basic Neurochemistry as it's more up to date.

A note on this one-If your into this subject and are at a similar level (1st year degree perhaps?) get a current Rang and Dale-Pharmacology to go with it. Oddly enough the descriptions of the various receptor types compliment the early material in this book nicely. Alternatively Malenka's Molecular Neuropharmacology is good here too :).

A pre requisite for this one is either Neuroscience by Bear, or something equivalent by Eric Kandel - Principles of Neural Science etc.