on 2 November 2017
Superb, comprehensive manual covering every aspect of urban/suburban cycling. Pictures come out a bit small on kindle and need zooming in to read but this is a minor quibble.

The book assumes no prior knowledge of cycling and covers everything from types of bike to learning how to ride and how to safely ride in traffic. Even if you've been riding for years, you'll learn something from John Franklin. For example, I never knew why the rear brake is operated with the left hand brake lever in a country where traffic drives on the left.

Highly recommended for all cyclists.
on 30 August 2016
This is a very comprehensive book but pretty wordy. I bought it so I could help my daughter, who is 11, to learn to cycle on the road safely. We are working through it together, but it would benefit from more bullet points and less prose so that I could show her what to do rather than read it to her. The photos and road diagrams are great - even more would be good. The concept of the primary and secondary riding position is really helpful.
on 21 February 2015
Cyclecraft is the definitive guide to cycling on Britain's roads. It should be compulsory reading for all road users, not just those taking Bikeability; anyone taking a driving test should be quizzed on it.

If you are a road cyclist, even a very experienced one, you absolutely need this book. If you drive on roads where cyclists are likely to be, you also need this book.

I share the author's dislike of cycle lanes. Dedicated cycle infrastructure is one thing (and something I support), badly designed lanes on shared infrastructure is another thing. Cyclists need to assert their rights to be safe on the roads and motorists need to recognise that cyclists are entitled to use the infrastructure. Cycle lanes encourage cyclists to ride in the gutter and door zone (where they absolutely should not be), and encourage motorists to overtake far too close (as if a line of white paint offers any protection to the cyclist). Not only that, most of them aren't even dedicated to cycles, so cars can freely drive in and even park in them, obstructing cyclists - their only function is to say "cyclists keep way over to the left", which is the most dangerous thing to do.
on 10 May 2016
As another reviewer said, it could have been done in half the volume of trees ...... It's not very accessible either.
I am glad I bought a second hand copy, it has been useful but the font is small and densely packed, and it's almost too comprehensive.
on 7 October 2008
'Cyclecraft' is recommended reading for Bikeability (the national cycle training standard, rather more advanced than cycling proficiency) and that's why many people will probably buy it. However I think it is an excellent read for anyone who takes their bike out on normal roads. Franklin looks at all aspects of cycling (except for bike maintenance), including choosing a bike, setting it up correctly, gear changing etc and advice on riding on the roads. His diagrams are all generally helpful but it's his overall comments about taking your position on the road as a cyclist that are so helpful. He dispels common myths about cycle positioning (that we should hide ourselves in the gutter) and his advice makes cycling much safer.

This is a very readable book, including information about other forms of cycling such as tricycles and recumbents (I have a recumbent trike so I was interested to read this), towing children in a trailer, tandems etc. My only criticism is that sometimes the book makes cycling on a normal upright seem rather dangerous (comments about braking correctly, not skidding in the wet etc) and might have put me off a little if I cycled one of these. However despite this reservation I can heartily recommend this book and have found it exceptionally useful for my own cycling and something that I will refer to many times.
on 20 May 2014
Excellent book that is balanced in its overall view of the cyclists place in traffic. If I were to nit-pick, the authors preference for a full head turn to see behind, in preference to the use of a mirror, seems a bit odd as in doing so forward vision is totally lost and, in some instances, the very act of rotating the head and upper body can play havoc with the body's balancing system causing an often spectacular wobble! That apart I think it's the best book on the subject so far.
on 7 May 2016
I bought this because of a lack of cycling proficiency courses for children where we live. The blurb implies it covers this and maybe it does but it also covers other things but without identifying what the syllabus is for children. Most of what I've read I have already explained to my daughter anyway so not the best purchase I've made.
on 8 December 2012
If you are new to cycling or getting back on a bike after a long time this book will give you a huge leg up the learning curve. When I was a child you just got on your bike and off you went but for me that was 40 years ago and these days the roads are a very different place. I read the book and it instantly boosted my confidence and the more I applied the advice in the book the more my confidence in the book and my ability grew. I can only give this book a five star rating because anything less would be unfair. An excellent reference book containing lots of sound advice on how to stay safe and enjoy your cycling.
on 12 October 2011
This book really is helpful if you are new to cycling like me)it gives very sound practical advice about holding your position on the raod in a way that protects you. I had read some of the reviews and would agree that advice about wearing helmets is something that I would choose not to follow but as for the rest, the tips on safety are first class and i have already put them into practice. I'm giving this product 5 stars even though I don't necessarily agreee with everything in the book but most of it is absolutely spot on and will potentially save your life. If you haven't got it already and are thinking of getting on the road, get it now.
on 17 May 2016
A must read for any serious cyclist. 'Roadcraft' is the police driver's reference book. 'Cyclecraft' is the cyclist's reference book