on 23 January 2012
Tried installing it 4 times. Every time it just says 'installation is damaged'... something is wrong with the disc. My laptop is completetly compatible and in good condition. Do not know why this is happening?!
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 November 2013
Now, I should preface this by warning you that I can't drive, and I've never even taken a lesson - truth is, I'd love to be able to drive, but I could barely afford lessons - even if I did manage to pay for lessons and pass my test, there's no way I'd be able to buy, tax and run a car on top of my existing extravagant (I wish) lifestyle.

That said, a man can dream, and I do plan to get out on the roads one day. I've read most of the DSA's books now in some sort of vague preparation, and I have to say that they're pretty good - this book, for example, contains every multiple choice theory question that you can possibly be given, along with the correct answer and a brief explanation of why that's the case.

Weirdly, I feel like I learned more from this than from any of their other books, despite the fact that the others were more linear and contained much more detail. I suppose it was just enlightening to see how many of the answers I knew - I always thought that I knew next to nothing, but I was wrong. A lot of it is just common sense, and I must have learned something from the earlier books, too.

But the beauty of this book is that even if you don't know the answer, you can have a stab at it and, if you're wrong, learn the right answer (and the reasoning behind it) straight afterwards - you don't even have to flick through to an answers section at the back of the book, which is often a problem with books like this. 10/10 for usability, then.

My copy also contained The Highway Code, although I didn't bother reading it as I've read it separately as a stand-alone edition. There really is everything that you need if you're hoping to pass your theory test, including a competition to win a free car - unfortunately, it had already ended by the time that I got round to reading it. In fact, the downside to my edition was that the questions were only valid until 2010, which means that new questions might have since been introduced that I received no preparation for.

But still, you'll learn about everything from stopping distances and brake lights to road signs, warning triangles, trams and pelican crossings. As far as I'm aware, literally every possible driving scenario was included, from driving on the motorway to driving with a trailer - in fact, it even combines factors, asking what to do in the event of driving with a trailer on the motorway.

It's also split in to neat sections, so that if you know that you're weak in an area, you can revise it. I'll be needing that, whenever I come to re-read it before taking the real thing. Drive on!
on 22 February 2018
This book is completely pointless, it contains no information to actually help you study for the CPC test just tells you what to expect when you take it. There is no content in it that you can learn in order to pass the actual test. The majority of reviews relate to the theory test book not this useless waste of money. Eg pic- I don’t need it to tell me I need to know the alcohol limit, I need it to actually tell me what the limit is so I know the answer when questioned!!!
review image
on 4 May 2016
This boom was extremely helpful when practicing for my theory test. Just on personal preference I would say to use both the book and dvd however for people that learn by reading and are visual learners this book has the potential to be brilliant on its own. I managed to pass my theory the second time, only failing by one point on the first go and so proved extremely useful to me.
review image
on 30 December 2015
Extremely quick delivery, by amazon proper. Ordered Sunday late, delivered for breafast Tuesday, despite Bank Holiday. HMSO are clearly having a laugh at 2p short of a tenner for such a slender paperback, + almost £3 fers pp. Such a thick paperback is worth no more than £1. It does prepare the IT illiterate for the theory, Part 2, as also for the part 4. It contains nothing in terms of road safety, vehicle control, lighting, braking, or any other technical content. Just a two page list of other literature, most of which is free to download, for those who have pdf. Best idea is to take the list to the nearest public library, and print all the stuff off. They almost certainly have pdf, and it is much cheaper than buying/running a private home printer. It would appear that the extra 2 modules, part 2, & 4, are simply to insult us oldtimers who already have at least 5 years f/t experience behind the wheel of a Group 2 vehicle. In my case I simply need to work on f/t into pension, at least until the Benefit Office sort my pension, Housing/Council-tax Benefit. My entire benefit was cancelled March 2013, and my entire pension of January 2015, was cancelled after less than 3 months. I now have over £105/wk rent, also Council-Tax, and no visible income.
on 1 March 2012
There is no Hazard Prep included, the material covers every thing for the rest of the theory exam, excellent book to help you pass the theory test. Highly recommended !
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 October 2012
I bought this for my daugter to help her prepare for her theory test. There is a lot of information in the book and it helps the reader to revise all the rules and regulations.
The book worked fine as she passed easily first time. We used the book inconjunction with the hazard perception DVD and the two work well together - I learnt a thing or two as well !!!!!
Great for anyone taking their test.
22 Comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 March 2016
This book was a great help while I was studying for my theory exam. The material is divided into easily manageable sections, with each having a short introduction covering the basic theory and giving some additional guidance as well. Then, there are the questions, which cover the theory introduced within the prologue, as well as others, which forces you to think. Right beside each question there is a section of the HC cited, giving some background (and often the answer itself), which helps one to understand why any given answer is the correct one. The book contains also a lot of useful tips (both for the exam, as well as the future). All of the answers can be seen at the very end of the book, colour coded according to their respective sections, which makes locating any given answer a breeze.
The only negative I could find, was that the multiple choice answers to the questions don't have any kind of numeration scheme to them - there's only a small box next to each answer allowing the user to mark the correct one.

All in all a great book, I went through all of the questions once and was able to pass easily.
on 3 February 2015
After taking the cheaper option and buying the kindle version rather than the paperback of this book I was in two minds as to whether I regretted the discussion or was over the moon about it. I quickly realized a lot of the book is questions to practice but it's much harder to click back and forth between the questions and answers in the kindle version. On my kindle fire (I assume the issue will be the same in other tablets and dressers), there was a handy link to the page with the answer on but no easy way to get back to the question which irritated me. I also was frustrated that there was no pattern to the location number I was having to navigate to. Having said that this book also includes handy links to DVSA YouTube videos demonstrating or explaining key points.The book also includes links to the DVSA and DVLA websites if and when appropriate. Overall I would definitely recommend but it could be improved if they were to add links to return to the questions from the answers.
on 20 April 2015
Remember, if you want to pass your theory test at least revise this for two weeks to avoid stressing last minute!
My driving instructor recommend this book to me and i revised for two weeks and passed! You will defiantly pass if you read this book because it is split in to sections and also gives you tips and questions at the end of each section!
I was surprised that i passed second time, i used the DVLA 13' CD before but it wasn't for me! Definitely If the CD don't work, i recommend with book! Also try getting a App on your phone!
To pass your theory, you need to have knowledge of how the car works and Definitely Have read and absorb information from the high way code!
Also remember to practice the hazard perception.
This book it worth it because it sections out different topics, you will not get confused and stressed, takes a little time. Day by day read and test yourself and you will pass!