on 27 June 2017
Unfortunately way out of date now, but helpful
on 22 August 2017
This is a complete waste of time and money. It is NOTHING like the actual hazard perception test, to the point where, when you're passing this thing one hundred percent, you will fail the actual test for clicking too often. If anyone does have a useful app or dvd, please let me know
on 31 May 2017
Helped me out a lot
on 20 June 2017
excellent
on 22 April 2017
ok
on 18 May 2009
I was hoping for some practical advice for my up coming hazard perception test for my LGV licence, something that would let me know what to expect and some guidance on how/what is judged as a hazard. I was always told that anything on the road or near by was a potential hazard, you have to be ready for anything.

But maybe that's different now from when I learned to drive, because the hazards on this dvd are debatable to say the least, and all it has done has got me worried because unless you see the tape the same way as the person who designed it, then you won't get the same answers.

For instance apparently a farm building should be considered a hazard, because there might be farm traffic around. I'm sorry but as far as driving in the real world goes you might as well be clicking on the sky in case of the hazard of alien abduction.

The videos on the dvd only apply to the practical test, the practice videos are too few and don't have any guide as to why you are right or wrong. Basically you learn nothing, and in my case it just makes you feel worse.
on 1 February 2010
With only 1 hazard perception test on the disk and no explanations of where you went right or wrong on your clicks, this DVD really isn't worth the money. Once you've done the test once you know where all the 'hazards' are and it's then useless for you.
on 12 March 2009
I bought this DVD as part of the official DSA learner pack which also included the theory test CD-ROM and the Prepare for the Practical Test DVD.

To be honest I was disappointed with the Hazard Perception DVD as it only had ten clips on which to practice (which was not enough to really get the hang of when to click to spot the hazard). Nor did it review the clips afterwards to show you where you would click to get the maximum points. I would not have been confident going into my theory test without additional software.

Instead I bought the Driving Test Success Hazard Perception which had 400 video clips (of which I probably used about 150 in my preparation) and properly reviewed each clip afterwards showing you where the boundary lay between getting a 5 and a 1.

I went on to pass the hazard perception part of the test with a score of 65/75 - one which not have been so high if I had only used the DVD above!
22 Comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2008
I took my test for a full car license several years ago, way before all these new fangled theory tests were brought in, but in the grip of my midlife crisis I decided to learn to ride a motorbike.

So I needed to brush up on the theory test for bikes and the hazard perception test. This was the only product I found dealing with the hazard perception part of the test.

Being unable to compare it with anything else makes objective comment a little difficult, but I didn't find the DVD much use at all.

That said, I'm not sure it's necessarily the DVD's fault - I think the hazard perception test itself is poorly presented and unclear in what exactly is being measured (I passed it first time, by the way, so this isn't sour grapes). Even after watching this DVD, taking the mock tests (which require you to click the OK button on your DVD remote when you spot a hazard) and then taking the real test, I'm still unclear what I could have done to ensure a perfect score.

That's really my gripe - I didn't feel sufficiently confident after running through this DVD that I knew exactly how I was going to be marked in the real test.

But maybe that's my problem, not this product's.

Final conclusion: worth getting because it won't do any harm and might do some good. And you get to watch Suzi Perry presenting the bits between the clips. I'd borrow this or buy it cheaper second hand if I were you.
11 Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2008
The dvd is in several parts:
1. A series of chapters, introducing the techniques you're expected to use when taking the test.
Since these are exactly what you do when driving/riding, this is unnecessary for anyone with any experience at all on the roads. Having said that, the information was well-presented. There are no tips on how to pass the HP test - the DSA are sticking to their story that all you need is to have good real life hazard perception skills. Excuse me while I die laughing.

2. The HP test simulator.
This is the part I bought this massively overpriced dvd for. The simulator mimics the test very well, and the walk-through after each clip is also good. It makes a big difference to be given your score after each clip, as you begin to get a feel of what would constitute a 3, for example. You only /begin/ to make progress however, since THERE ARE ONLY 10 CLIPS ON THIS DVD! This is nowhere near enough to really get to grips with the test. I would strongly advise against buying this full-price therefore - get it secondhand somehow or borrow a friend's, because you'll get about an hour's use out of it and that's it. I still don't feel prepared for the test. Very, very frustrating! Also, the flag that shows your response has been registered is noticeably slow to appear - which rather defeats the object of a timed response...

3. Some multiple-choice questions.
These are the kind of things you get in the first part of the theory test. However, there are only 20 or so (so next to useless for preparation for that part of the test) and the fact that you can't select more than one answer at a time on the multiple-answer questions is irritating.

Let me repeat - DO NOT BUY THIS DVD FULL-PRICE! For not even one full test's worth of clips and more of the same garbled and contradictory instructions you get when booking the test, it's a collosal waste of money.