Customer reviews

No Roses For Harry (Red Fox Picture Books)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 November 2011
I loved reading about Harry the dog when I was a child, and this must have been one of my most-borrowed library books, so I was delighted to find it still in print all these years later. 'No Roses' is Harry's second adventure.

It's Harry's birthday. Grandma has lovingly hand-knitted him a sweater. Although it is cosy and snug, it's covered in roses, so Harry decides it has to go - with hilarious consequences, as ever.

Any child (or adult) who's ever received a gift that wasn't exactly to their liking with sympathise with Harry's plight in this story. Gene Zion spins a good yarn, and Margaret Bloy Graham's wonderful illustrations bring Harry to life. The little dog's glum looks as he walks around town wearing his sweater are a sight to behold!

'No Roses for Harry' is a great book to share with your little one. If this is the first time you have met Harry, then his other adventures - 'Harry The Dirty Dog (Red Fox Picture Books)' and 'Harry By The Sea (Red Fox picture books)' - are well worth a read.
One person found this helpful
on 29 April 2017
Loved this as a child and bought it for my granddaughter. She loves it too! Pure nostalgia.
on 7 November 2016
Timeless book about Harry the mischievous dog. My two girls (4&6) love the Harry series and would recommend to both boys and girls.
on 25 June 2017
Thh cover had to be washed as it looked like some kind of spillage was all over it
on 6 February 2013
I love the 'Harry' stories and reading them to my 14 month old. We have a little white dog so he can relate. This story is particularly sweet because Harry's grandma buys him a coat he doesn't like. It's just the kind of thing my dog's 'grandma' would do too. Not too long a story for little ones.
on 9 April 2016
One of my all time favourites for over thirty years........a classic!
on 8 April 2013
All our family enjoy this book, the illustrations are pleasing, the story is funny and naughty with no horridness and we love Harry, who is also in 3 other books we have, and is now a family friend.
on 15 March 2016
My sons and my grandson's favorite book series Wonderful!
on 8 May 2009
My four year old thoroughly enjoys having this tale of a dog and granny's present read and reread to him at bedtime, just as I did. Well illustrated and a very personal style of childrens story telling.
One person found this helpful
on 30 March 2013
Mt 2 year old has fallen in love with Harry the white dog with black spots. We already had the dirty dog story so I ordered this one or her Birthday, although the book arrived very promptly and seemed in good order, we have found that several pages have fallen out of the book since we began reading it and we are continually having to repair it.