Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2017
When I got my first Kindle in 2010 one of the first books I downloaded was this. I loved Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and "Anna Karenina", so thought I should give Dostoyevsky a go. 50 years ago, as a student enjoying the pleasures of 18th and 19th century German literature, Dostoevsky might have come as a bit of light relief ("die Leiden des jungen Werthers", anyone?) but alas now it seemed turgid, dreadfully long-winded and uninspiring. I am now 73 and hope for another 10 years of life with luck; I can think of more interesting ways to spend them. Sorry, Dostoyevsky, but life's too short!
on 19 May 2017
Disappointed in this edition. It is unreadable. Though the cover appears quality, the typeset is tiny, line spacing miniscule, and margins atrociously wide. I have the impression it was self-published (print through Amazon) because it is public domain.

Two stars because Amazon allowed an easy return. I'm glad i can count on customer service!
on 26 July 2015
Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamasov left me speechless, awed that a man could write to such depth, with such flowing beauty about such heart breaking and poignant ideas. This same depth invites the reader to become fully engrossed in simply the greatest character development and character weaving that I personally have ever encountered from any book. Each character is fleshed out and filled in so thoroughly that by the end of the book you feel you are a part of their lives. The emotion that comes through their interactions is magnificently crafted and leaves the reader feeling like they have participated in something as rich as and developed as a vintage brandy or well cured whisky.

This was my first Dostoyevsky book, from the day I opened the first page of the dauntingly long book, I was hooked until the day I closed the last, desperately wishing that the book was twice, if not three times the length - such had the characters, their lives, their emotions, their stories captivated me.

It is my personal conviction that if one has not read at least some of this book, then one has not truly read. I simply cannot express how beautiful the fantastically weaving complexity of it is.

The one thing I thought was a tad shame however was the length of the trial scenario towards the end. If this was a little shorter I think it would be a perfect piece of literary writing. A tarnished perfection will have to do I suppose.
on 18 March 2013
This edition is not very good. But it's practically free. I'm happy to read a badly manufactured book but don't buy if your not. The novel is full of interesting philosophy but the writing style is understandably quite dated. I don't like reading classics for the sake of it but I think it's often worth it if the ideas expressed are interesting. Overall this is quite a difficult book to read but do (it's only reading, you'll manage)
on 20 July 2015
Great story but not easy to read. The characters all have several names. In the Russian language people are now by their formal name plus several diminutives and this leads to a problem of working out who's who. I have started this book several times but never finished it before. The Kindle "look up" facility has made the book more readable.
on 2 April 2016
Loved the way this is written, you are right there with them. Still thinking about it a year later. Quite a tomb though, for me I had to take over 6months to finish but well worth it. It will always linger and sometimes haunt you for a long time to come
on 6 January 2016
Rambles in places. A reasonable story. But probably loses something subtle in translation. I'm sure it's a better read in the original Russian, but of course most of us don't have that option! Worth a go.
on 18 January 2017
Astonishingly prescient of Soviet 20th Century activities. It shows how long these matters were brewing, but it also covers the depth and wonders of Orthodox faith that the Soviets tried to eliminate.
on 17 January 2016
Something to enjoy here for everyone, I think. Great novel with lots of philosophical elements.
on 3 April 2014
This is something for patient readers who love Dostoyevsky and his unique style. The story depicts life of three brothers and describe their different approach to morality and life. The story is very intense and definitely worth reading.