Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 November 2000
i thought that the author did a great job on this book and I found that it was a book that I couldn't put down because of the tension that unfolded in it
on 16 January 2016
Anne Tyler has to be one of the most thoughtful and brilliant writers - this is a story gently encompassing all emotions and I certainly was moved by this wonderful story. Her ability to get inside the head of a young man, with such sympathy and understanding, is such a rare skill. I think I have read all her books, some many times, but this is a really compulsive and beautiful novel, and one of my favourites.
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2013
I've read several Anne Tyler books and loved them all so was looking forward to this one. Overall it's good but there are some inconsistencies.
It contains some beautiful descriptive passages which deal with the big picture and the smallest incidental detail, giving everything a similar level of importance.
I love ATs families that she uses in her novels and this family is no exception. They are normal and usually react in an expected manner to the world around them.
As with her other books, you will find yourself feeling part of the plot due to the engaging and endearing way that she writes.
I had a problem with Ian, the main character. The other characters seemed very real but I wasn't convinced about his turning to religion. This is a fairly major element of plot so I had to put this aside to enjoy the rest of the book.
The pace also caused me some problems. I adored the beginning and the end of the book but felt that it sagged a little in the middle.
Clearly a lot of people love this book but I don't think it is one of her best. If you haven't read any AT then don't start with this one, if you have read lots of her books then it is worth giving it a go.
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2013
I wasn't feeling great when I read this book and at one time I actually thought it was very poor, which for me, for an Anne Tyler book, was a big surprise and a major disappointment. Whether this initial very negative reaction was due to my own feeling unwell, or to the subject matter of born-again-Christianity (always guaranteed to annoy me tremendously) I don't know, but as the book progressed I found myself reassessing my criticism and by the end I have to say that I thought it, the book, to be another Anne Tyler triumph. Maybe the born-again initial introduction was a little too laboured or maybe I was in a bad mood. I'm not sure. But the book in overall terms is wonderful. What a relief! She is one of my always reliable authors, a true master.
on 25 June 2013
Saint Maybe is a tender tale of a family in meltdown after tragedy strikes. Anne Tyler is a master of dialogue and characters are described with precision and skill. We warm to the children and are frustrated by the adults in turn. However, it is Ian who earns our love and respect as he battles with his inner demons before finally finding happiness. The plot considers the serious issues of remorse and forgiveness but always with a light touch. There is plenty of humour and several 'laugh out loud' moments. Another excellent novel from a first class author.
on 18 September 2014
Read dutifully for a book club. My description was like madeira cake - not horrible but what's the point. Many in the club did like it but for me tedious to the point that I did not finish it.
on 28 June 2016
Really enjoyed the beginning but characters seem to lose their way as it progressed and it all felt a bit pointless.
on 28 April 2013
I read this book when it was first published and I had forgotten how superbly written it was. It is full believable characters . I loved the odd and quirky Bedloe family and all of their friends and neighbours.
One of my favourite books by my favourite author
on 24 March 2013
Everything Anne Tyler writes grips me within a few pages; ordinary domestic lives explored but made - as we all think our lives are - to be extraordinary.
Great, swift service from the provider. Would definitely use again
on 31 July 2006
A beautifully written sensitive book, about a family whose life is changed forever by a tragedy. Particulary Ian, whose life and personality are changed almost beyond recognition. I didn't want to finish this book and when I did I felt bereft at leaving behind the marvellouse characters created by Mary Tyler. What more can I say?