Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 April 2015
John Burningham has written many children's books with inspirational stories and pictures. This isn't one of them. It doesn't have any of the subtlety or the humanity of Aldo, Courtney, Shirley, Oi get off our train, nor does it have his best artwork. Most importantly, it didn't get much interest from the children.
on 18 November 2009
This is a favourite of mine. My mum read it with different voices for each of the animals and it had us rolling about with laughter. The pictures are great and its a bit surprising because he doesnt look like the sort of boy who would stand up to bullies. I will read this book to my children.
on 26 October 2011
We got The Shopping Basket out at the library and my son loved this book. We had to buy it as we couldn't just keep on re-newing it every month. He loves the humour and how the boy Steven outwits each animal that tries to take from his shopping basket on his route home. The pictures may seem a bit dated now but the story more than makes up for it. It's helped my son learn to read and he gets great enjoyment telling me what happens to each animal as they fall for Steven's plan to get away from them. I didn't hold any high hopes for it when we first sat down to read it, but what a suprise. A simple but really clever story. Well worth reading.
on 21 February 2011
This book was fantastic fun for my Reception class. We used it first as a funny story and secondly as a way of talking about subtraction. Excellent fun to act out too!.
on 23 May 2010
My children, now teenagers, loved this book. We unearthed it during a recent 'clear out' and under no circumstances could we get rid of it! They still remembered it with fondness and so did I. There are different characters in the story and the fun is creating different voices for each one, you can't help yourself really. I bought the new one for a friends grandchild and I'm sure it will be as loved and as well read as our copy.
on 5 January 2016
I appear to be in a minority, but I find this book quite unpleasant. The animals threaten the boy, and it seems sad to give children such an unnecessarily negative impression of animals (whether in the character's imagination or not). I should mention that I'm neither an animal rights activist nor even a vegetarian, but I was uneasy about reading this to my two year old.
on 17 March 2001
The Shopping Basket is a well written, humourous and intelligently written book, that a child can't help but return to time and time again to read with amusement awe and admiration for a fellow peer.
Steven is asked to run a simple errand by his mother. It invloves a trip to the local corner shop but on the way home... Steven meets a rich and varied range of animals demanding his shopping with menaces. After cunningly dealing with each animal in turn, he arrives home, but where his efforts appreciated?
VINE VOICEon 29 March 2011
A good book which the children I work with loved. They liked trying to remember all what the character had to go for and loved all the characters that he met. They loved the colours in the book. Would reommend this for preschool children.
on 21 February 2015
A much-loved children's book. It was my daughter's favourite when she was 3, and with my wife being a childminder, I've often read it to her children and they all love it.

I find that a good way to read it is to get them to guess what animal is next before turning the page.
on 19 October 2014
So much mileage here - the children love it and so do we - links to role play, maths, Literacy, - well you can link it to anything, but best of all it is an entirely enjoyable book....adults and children here had fun what more can I say?