Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2017
Astonishing tour de force of despair really. It is about life and death at a very profound level, but written in such a simple way. The Dresden firestorm in WWII is described deadpan, and thus so much more effectively than with drama. The central character is Everyman, stuck in an impossible situation where he seems helpless to escape - and yet he does, either in a dream or in reality, when he is abducted by aliens. I would never call this science fiction. It is much more the study of one man's psychology, his escape and his denial of his reality, which ranges from utterly banal to absolute horror. Vonnegut himself seems to have been the most compassionate of men, and this sings through. I have to say, soon after I finished reading it, I saw a glorious pair of silver boots in a sale reduced from £120 to £7 and bought them, so influenced was my mind by Slaughterhouse Five.
on 23 August 2017
I've never read a Vonnegut book before & I've finally decided to jump on in to his world.
I blame the high expectations but I found the book just okay. I wasn't blown away by it like I was promised by so many people.
I didn't like the main character, Billy Pilgrim, I know main characters don't have to be liked for a book to be good but I felt I would have enjoyed it better if the character was better developed, he felt too 2D. To me there was so much said about Pilgrim but I still knew very little about him. He was too pathetic for me to empathises with him or even get into his mind set & I'm pretty good at doing that with characters.
As for the story, it was an interesting concept, I actually was far more interested in this other planet than when the story was focused on earth, like I really wanted to know more about his time on this other planet but it felt too skipped over.
So yeah, probably get dragged over the coals for not liking a classic book but there you go, this is just my little opinion.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2017
I thought I would give this a go as it was reduced recently but I am really struggling to get into it. Im up to chapter four but its been hard going rather than a book that you cant wait to pick up again. I guess its just is not for me. I find it slightly bizzarre.
on 8 August 2017
An excellent anti-war novel that I would not hesitate to recommend. Won't give any of the plot away but it comments on the futility and stupidity of it all. Has made me want to seek out more of the authors work.
on 12 April 2017
This book was an absolute joy to read despite it's at times quite difficult subject matter.
on 26 August 2017
A must read 20th Century classic.A heady mix of sf , wartime memoir and study of the effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
on 5 July 2017
Stop everything you are doing, buy this book and start reading. Now.
on 14 August 2017
Took me about halfway to get really into it. I'm used to modern writting so that's my excuse. The story is indeed really interesting and I will have to reread it sometime to suck it all in. My first experience was mediocre, but having finished it I know it will be better the second time because of it.
on 12 May 2016
As a new avid reader, having this book recommended by an English teacher was a true joy to read. This book handles time travel very well, coming into this book I was expecting it to be hard to follow, but truly it felt perfect. The humor is exceptional and a must read.
on 27 July 2017