Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

1000 BC - this is the story of a small tribe in South-Central Britain and the boy Lubrin, born into the chief's family; but different. Different from the warriors in that he has artistic talent, and that is not an easy thing to have among a horse-breeding warrior tribe. Through this short book (just over 100 pages) this is the story of how the tribes lived, in those days; how his tribe was attacked; and how the Great White Horse came to be cut into the hillside. About the value of friendship, tradition, and sacrifice; and beauty.
review image
on 19 March 2016
A wonderful story. Rosemary Sutcliffe infuses her historical knowledge into very readable story telling. Taking us into worlds of the past. I especially like this book as it sheds light on the mystery of the stylised chalk horse at Uffington. I have visited this horse many times and can imagine the characters playing out their lives in that era.
on 23 June 2015
Fabulously imagined story behind the awe inspiring white horse. I read this after visiting the horse and thought this a wonderful description of what may have happened on that hillside.
on 13 June 2015
Loved this book when I was a bairn. I'm really glad that Rosemary Sutcliffe books are being released on kindle. I can 're read them all. And there's some I've never seen before.
on 21 July 2014
Bought it as a possible book to study for the neolithic era. I think it might be a little too complex for a seven year old but it was a good book none the less.
on 18 January 2016
Good service. Enjoyed the book.
on 1 January 2017
One of Rosemary's best
on 3 March 2016
very good
on 21 February 2013
The book was in very good condition and quickly sent out, very happy with the purchase and the prompt delivery. I feel like I got good value for my money.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2011
I didnt expect libray tickets and stamps to be in the book, normaly if this is the case one is told by the seller or rep, also it was a much shorter storyline than I expected. I have read many Rosemary Sutcliffe before and this one did not meet the usal standards. I belive it was printed for the American childrens market this maybe why it lacked the authors usual specific detailed historical touch.However it supplied information on another book (from the authors notes) which was of great help in my research of the Iceni.