Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2009
I absolutley adored this book. It is a tad challenging to get into but that makes it all the more worthwhile. Miss Morrison's writing is so clever, her use of words amazing. This book is poetic, deeply moving, very very original in every way. I can't praise it enough
VINE VOICEon 30 May 2010
I really struggled to finish this book, it just seemed unnecessarily complicated. I read it for a book group and managed to get the gist of most of the book through the discussion, but if I'd been reading it alone I would almost certainly have abandoned it.

I suppose you'd call it a ghost story as Beloved died as a baby. She lives as a spirit in the house occupied by her mother, grandmother, brothers and sister. When the boys leave and the grandmother dies, we are left with just Beloved, her mother and sister. Beloved's presence becomes more and more real as time passes, until we are led to believe that she is actually living in the house.
Meanwhile the story recounts the events that lead up to the family occupying the house. They were originally slaves and the experiences they have had are, at times, quite traumatic. Unfortunately I was not always quite sure exactly what was going on, where the baby was born, what happened to her father etc.

I was sorry that this book was not more readable as the problems encountered when given their freedom are every bit as interesting as the struggles of the slaves while in captivity. I would have liked to have enjoyed this and learned from it.

I had previously read Sula by this author and only rated it 2*. I doubt I shall read any more Toni Morrison.
on 26 September 2010
A sublime novel about intimate slave experiences - human from the beginning till the end. Once started to read, one cannot stop reading. I have already bought many copies, to give away as birthday presents.
on 29 July 2015
I couldn't make any sense out of this book - too much supernatural in it and unlikable characters. save your money!!!
on 30 April 2014
Delivery was prompt and book was in great shape.
Storyline was phenomenal and inspiring as well as a tool for positive change in our community and the world.
Great read!
Thankyou!
on 2 February 2014
A hugely emotional novel exploring human suffering and the tragic results of this. The novel will raise moral questions that you will struggle to answer.
on 16 February 2014
Was recommended this book by a friend, who had thoroughly enjoyed it and thought I would too. I have not started it yet so can only comment on delivery etc - which was really quick.
on 8 January 2014
had to buy it for my a level studies, but was so interested in the story anyway, really gets to your emotions about the past. recommend in general :)
on 24 May 2009
A good book, but you have to pay attention as it's easy to get lost in the text!Well worth a read though!
on 5 November 2014
Grotesque content and an incomprehensible style of writing which i found impenetrable from the outset. Sex is reduced to repulsive scenes of voyeurism and rape and bestiality, finer feelings are diminished in favour of shock value.
I am not sure why this is deemed great literature, I found it like a mishmash of Stephen King fright a minute and self regarding purple prose.
Hated it .