on 25 June 2016
I've read the first five books back to back in two months and it feels like this one took me the same time to get through as the first four together, it didn't half go on and on and on (half a 1400 page book about milk filled breasts and wet patches on bodices, Jamie's hair glinting in the sun) and had none of the page turning excitement of the previous installments. Did Gabaldon get bored of her own characters? What has she done to Claire and her spirit? I got bored but as my sister has assured me this book is a blip in the series then I stuck with it. Don't get me wrong it has its moments but it could do with one of those readers digest condensed book makeovers and be half the size but keep the story. I'm hanging in there with the rest of the books in the hope we get some essence back of what the Outlander series was about, a burning love story and the history of the highlanders and Scotland. I miss Scotland and the books are losing something without it.
21 people found this helpful
on 25 September 2017
Like many others, I could not wait for the tv series so started reading. I have to say, I really struggled with this one. It was like even the author got bored with the daily grind of life in the 1700s, I certainly got fed up half way through. There are so many loose ends, all of which could be excellent stories and start to be then taper off, unconcluded. Whereas there is discussion in depth about one plotline, other, stronger plotlines with more potential for dogged investigation by the dynamic duo, get forgotten. This was really a nothing book from about half way through, unless you have a fascination for lactation, clouts or potty training. The whole thing has made me less inclined to suffer the same conclusion about the next three books although others say they pick up again. Let's hope so as right now, I dislike all the women and want to slap Roger who appears to be a poor imitation of his father in law with little personality of his own.
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 1 March 2018
Not the best of the series. I found it quite longwinded and the daughter exceedingly annoying! However it didn’t stop me from reading and engaging in the characters. The author has a talent for drawing the reader in to the everyday happenings of rural life, pity it’s America and not Scotland but I can understand why. There’s only a certain amount of storyline one can do! No doubt we the reader will be dragged in to American Independence and Claire and Jamie will lead their new clan. Diana G. Does leave the door open for us to step right through and participate in our own adventure, so I may just have to read book six, even if it’s just to see if Bonet is bollockless!
3 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2018
Because I am a massive Outlander fan I was so excited at the start of this book, however that all changed once I started reading. This has got to be the most boring book I have ever read! I have no idea why Diana's editor didn't cut 3/4 of this book as it is just pointless! Never have I read so much about a breastfeeding woman's breasts! It's dull, boring & hard work! I had to switch to the audio version just to get through through it! I would have liked to just leave it but was advised it was necessary if you want to continue with the series which does apparently get better. I'm just glad it's over. Read at your peril
One person found this helpful
on 22 January 2016
Most of the action of this volume takes place over one event (the Gathering) and the nefarious sub-plots involved range from low comedy to high tragedy with lots of sculduggery inbetween. It is somewhat slow to get started, but although it gathers pace eventually, it suffers a bit from too many key events setting up future outcomes further down the line.... and a fair few red herrings. The Frasers of Fraser's Ridge are now established in their own right but involved with Jamie's thankfully rich Aunt Jocasta, and this complicates life wonderfully. The Roger/Brianna storyline continues alongside the Jamie/Claire one, but on the whole there is not as much adventure and action as in previous books. Still gripping, but rather long and involved. Keep reading, keep reading!
on 6 January 2016
Ive read some reviews that complain about too many subplots, and too many unnecessary people. This book, as with the others in this series, chronicles lives lived, not adventures experienced. So yes, things happen, and people touch the lives of the main characters, that have no great influence on the 'arch of the story', but they are what give that sense of reality to the reader, and prove what a great writer Diana Gabaldon is.
I've only given the second book a somewhat negative review, for a load of Americanisms in a book with no American characters, and that took place mostly in Paris. This suffers from nothing like that; no anachronisms, no sloppy language. On the contrary the sense of place and time are beautifully evoked, wherever the people are at the time.
Well done again, Diana.
on 4 October 2016
Having really enjoyed the first 3 novels, my interest started to flag part way through the fourth. I began the fifth, 'The Fiery Cross' in July and, put it this way, I have read about a quarter and I am struggling.
5 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 1 September 2017
As others have said, this is a very long novel, and it really does get a bit tedious in places. I like her descriptions of daily life, and as a writer she can be amusing, but in this book I felt there was an awful lot of repetition and unnecessary waffle. I didn't enjoy her obsession with breast feeding either, she went on and on about it..... I did enjoy the book overall, but for me it wasn't as good as the earlier books. I found I skimmed over quite a lot, just to try and relocate the plot.
on 12 March 2016
Very slow. Only starts to improve half way through the book when something of consequence actually happens. Prior to this it was one false alarm after another, details of domestic drudgery and inconsequential events. Claire and Jamie are becoming decidedly middle aged and Bree and Rodger are not as engaging a couple. Disappointing as the first few books in this series are excellent. Will continue to read as it is reasonably well written and I'm hopeful that subsequent books will hold some of the adventure and excitement of the first books. Will have to wait and see if this is true...
on 30 January 2017
Well there was no way I could wait for this to be made into TV series once I had been bitten by the bug. I'll say no more as I don't want to spoil the story. Onto the next one methinks☺
3 people found this helpful