Customer reviews

on 29 April 2017
Good
on 6 August 2001
This was the first Mary Higgins Clark novel I read and since reading have been an avid fan. I finished this novel in less than a day and once I did searched the web for her other novels.
Loves Music, Loves to Dance highlights the dangers of blind dating and personal ads. When a young woman is murdered her friend does everything she can to hunt down her killer, not knowing that he has already chosen his next victim - her! In true Mary Higgins Clark style, she keeps us guessing until the last moment. A truly excellent read, a must for all crime/thriller fans.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 February 2008
Darcy and Erin have a friend who's doing research on the kind of people who place personal ads; they're helping her by answering some personals and going out on dates. Erin chooses one where the man signs himself, "Loves music, loves to dance" and he does, but he's also a serial killer.

This is my third Mary Higgins Clarke novel and it follows her exact formula: A beautiful heroine is stalked by a perverted psycho. She's involved with a bunch of red herrings who could all be the baddie and we won't know the villain's true identity until the last few pages, when our damsel is rescued by Prince Charming. There's no variation from the recipe; it's always the same.

Clark's books are quick reads, good for the beach or a plane trip, but way too predictable and poorly written for me to read anymore of them. There are too many characters to keep track of, we're given way too much useless information about them, the dialog is full of grandiose words and phrases that aren't realistic, and we know the heroine will solve the mystery in the end. I like this book's title and the idea of a killer finding his victims through personals, but it's just not very well done.
on 14 May 2013
This is an absolutely brilliant book to read. Full of intrigue, mystery, murder and love.

Here we see best friends Darcy and Erin answering personal ads on behalf of a mutual friend. One of these friends (Erin) goes missing and is subsequently found murdered. The remaining friend (Darcy) takes it upon herself to do her own investigations by continuing to answer personal ads against the wishes of the FBI/Police. On the surface the killer (who has murdered lots of girls over a period of time and been dubbed a serial killer) seems very nice and approachable, and has been befriended by Darcy. Just how much danger is she in and can she be saved in time before the Killer achieves his goal of murdering Darcy.

A very fast paced novel, that will hold your attention throughout. Bear in mind that these personal adds were before the days of Facebook and Twitter, so were we as safe back then before internet chat rooms and Facebook/Twitter came into existence?

Excellent book. Would recommend.
on 12 October 2014
***** Realistically this is 3.5 stars out of five but I felt 3 was a smidge too low*****

Erin and Darcy are answering personal ads on behalf of a TV producer friend a research for a show, they discover all sorts of characters, adulterers, con men, the downright weird......and a serial killer.
I loved the plot but this book is showing its age, cassette tapes, no Internet or mobiles. Some of the dialogue is cringe making and it's unnecessary to describe in detail the various outfits worn each time a character appears. Red herrings galore, this is typical MHC, far better than some of her more recent books, it's an easy and undemanding read. I did enjoy the story and the mix of characters but it could have been stronger if the character dialogue had been better.
on 28 May 2004
AN EASY AND ENJOYABLE READ FROM MARY HIGGINS CLARK.
KEPT ME ENTERTAINED WITH THE EQUAL DOSE OF SUSPENSE AND ROMANCE WITHIN THE REALMS YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THIS AUTHOR
on 4 September 2013
This book is excellent as always, I just couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read more of her books.
on 20 December 2007
not very exciting, didnt get that i cant put it down feeling, got so bored with it that i read the end to find out what happened. written in the style of sparkle hayter so if you enjoyed the style and pace of the book she is an author i would recommend checking out.

wont be rushing out to get anyof her other books im afraid.
on 9 February 2017
I simply love MHC's novels. But I have to say that I did not want Erin to be dead in this book. I really hoped that somehow she would have fought to stay alive and succeed, and to see these two best friends reunited again. But MHC does not like obvious storylines and I commend her for that.
Great story!
on 19 January 2013
This was the first Mary H.C. that I read. A colleague at work passed it on to me and from then on I was hooked. Since then I have caught up with the past catalogue and bought every one since. Needless to say, this is a very enjoyable who dunnit?? Highly recommended.