Customer reviews

Pennine Walkies: Boogie Up the Pennine Way
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2017
I am a great fan of this writer as I love his wry sense of humour (and his dogs). I think I preferred his 'Boogie up the Thames' because I've travelled the same journey so could relate to the places he travelled through, whereas I only know parts of the Pennine Way. I still found this book very enjoyable though and recommended it to friends intending to tackle this route.
on 24 April 2012
Having thoroughly enjoyed Mark Wallingtons '500 Mile Walkies ' I was really looking forward to reading this . I was disappointed . I tried to explain some of this disappointment being down to my being unfamilar with the country through which we were travelling . The Southwest Penninsula Path of 500 Mile Walkies was familar to me from countless childhood holidays in Devon , Dorset and Cornwall . The land of the Pennine Path is almost totally alien to me . Mark and Boogie started off on their walk and I was instantly lost , I was reading a book I needed GPS to navigate . A map with each chapter would have been a great help . I reached the end of the book and felt I was enjoying the same sense of relief as Mark and Boogie at the end of their journey . Was I inspired to walk the Pennine Way ? No I wasn't , but this was a pleasant enough read.
on 19 June 2015
Since my grown up daughter became brain damaged due to neuro-surgery she relies on audio books to make up for loss of t.v. and I read to her whenever she comes to see me. She had a collie and knows some of the start of the Pennine Way. I fell down a dry waterfall and bloodied my knee up there so felt the book had been written for us.Two earlier books are of the same joyful realism I would think suggest treating yourself to by the same author and cast list------500 mile Walkies and Boogie on up the River. I made the mistake of lending these two gems to friends----who loved them so much----I never got them back.I solved that this time by buying the Kindle versions. Thanks, Amazon
on 10 June 2016
First read this years ago when it first came out and didn't particularly like it. Re-read it recently and couldn't understand why I hadn't liked it the first time. It's a really good read, written in Mark Wallington's inimitable style. Thoroughly enjoyable, funny and well written.
on 9 November 2017
Brought back great memories of pennine waying. At times i was transported back to tgr few times I've walked this great route.
on 9 July 2015
It's very funny in places, however the author doesn't have respect for his dog at all, compare to Noel Blackham One man and his dog go walkies: John O' Groates to Land's End, who loves and respects his dog. I also think Wallington has never walked Pennine Way himself by the way he described walking in some places, and he also uses a lot of frases from DVD Aerial Britain Pennine Way.
on 31 May 2012
As others have said, I don't think this is as funny as the first two 'Boogie' books, but still an enjoyable read. I particularly enjoyed it as it is in the area where I live and so could relate to the places mentioned. I did also learn a bit, as I did not know the full route of the Pennines.
on 30 April 2017
Mark tries the Pennine way after the wonderful 500 Mile Walkies about the SW Coast Path. Easy and enjoyable read.Might try the walk myself
on 20 February 2016
As a hiker and sometimes backpacker with dog I really enjoyed this book and recognized many of the Mark's experiences on his walk. I also like the way he gets on with it despite not having the best of kit. He was very lucky with the weather though. Its inspired me to head north with my dog this summer.
on 27 November 2012
I read this book several years ago but couldn't find my copy when I went to look for it so purchased another. This is a gentle read with no real story line except the journey from one place to another (as are the previous two books) told with a wry humour. Mark Wallington has a way of making the characters live, even if they are only on the page for a couple of paragraphs.