on 6 November 2015
I discovered this author when I was reading another travel type book and the book was mentioned in passing.... I m so glad I looked the author up and downloaded this book. The author tells a good tale ... or should that be tail ?? about his travels with his dog.. to find the source of the Thames ... the dog that no one wants to look after,, the dog that farts and eats anything and everything... the dog that falls in the river and drenches everyone within reach when he gets out. Its funny in places... will his girl friend ever put him first and work second and turn up to meet him on his travels ?? I loved this book . Im a cat person but Boogie the dog has changed that ..... a bit .
3 people found this helpful
on 16 September 2015
Disappointing. This could have been an engaging travel adventure, but the author decided it needed the inclusion of humour and a relationship thread, neither of which were needed. The humour is formulaic, based on weak running gags, the sort of thing David Nobbs does very well. As for the laborious absent girlfriend sub-plot, I can only think it was put in to make up the word count. Boogie is a string of dog clichés and fails to be credible. What's left is a very pleasing little adventure through England, at times well observed, and quite engaging in its eye for detail. And this would have been enough with a few light hearted reflections.
on 8 August 2015
This book is brilliant, romantic, funny, warm, witty. Everything Mark Wallington writes is genius. Why people waste their life playing candy crush nonsense when they could be reading stuff like this, I dunno.
BTW publishers are obsessed with books being "laugh out loud funny". It's not like 8 out of 10 cats or whatever. It will make you smile lots though and you will think the world a better place that this book is in it.
on 28 April 2018
Being honest, is there actually a dog??? No picture anywhere and the author seemed quite uninterested about the dog ... Otherwise, the story was nice to rea.
on 28 March 2018
On of those laugh-out-loud funny books. Well worth seeking out, as are the sequels.
on 9 February 2018
funny!! plus tells you loads about the boats and the thames!
on 5 March 2006
Mark Wallington has a wonderful writing technique. He is very funny and captures Boogie's character so you really feel the dog is human. This makes you empathise with him. I love the repetitive humour that follows through the book when people make comments about the dog. I couldn't put the book down and read through it in a day or two. Having read 500-mile Walkies and Walkies, Up The Penine Way also by Mark, I can't wait to read The Day Job and Destination Lapland which are the other two I need to get stuck into.
One person found this helpful
on 16 December 2013
I bought this because I heard part of a semi-dramatised version on the radio and found it entertaining. I enjoyed reading the book at the time but now, a few weeks later, I can't remember much about it, so, not a very memorable book. Ideal non-taxing reading for a long boring train journey I'd say.
on 12 May 2018
very good
on 13 January 2017
I haven't actually read the book yet but it has been highly recommended by a friend