Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2003
My son is now 8, but we have had this book for a while. He loves it, it is funny, educational and entertaining all in one go. We have bought other books from the same author which are good but this is the best. FANTASTIC.
on 13 April 2000
This book is brilliant! Doctor Dog tells you how to keep clean and healthy in a funny way. It has excellelent illustrations,especially the one of Grandpa flying through the air on his toilet.On world book day I dressed up as the cover of this book because it's my favourite book, and my mum read it to my class and they thought it was cool. READ THIS BOOK IT'S GREAT!
on 13 August 2001
A hugely fun book for the kids - and one that the adults should enjoy too. Like all great books for kids, it works on many levels of humour - for young kids through to parents. I'm just having to buy another copy because my 4-year-old gave her copy to her best friend - and now wants it back !
on 23 November 2003
Ms Cole easily makes sensitive subjects funny. I Have bought this book for many children over many years and it is always a hit. Great illustartions and story. Also by author, Mummy laid an Egg is a great gift for both children and new parents.
on 19 July 2015
I have loved this book after my GP trainer gave me a copy when I qualified MRCGP. I have made a point of giving all of my trainees a copy when they qualify (as the bit about Dr Dog needing a holiday after he gets "burn out" is a good lesson whatever your age!). This copy was for a presentation on "being a doctor" to my son's nursery. They loved it; especially the bits that mention scratching your bum and farting!
on 17 April 2013
Helen for [...]

I have enjoyed a few of Babette Cole's stories and when my youngest picked this up in the library I was quite happy to add it to our pile of books to borrow. However the girls decided that we had to read it in the library then and there, so we did and it attracted some comments from other library users too. This is a book that can't fail to induce an opinion!

The story is about the Gumboyle family whose pet dog is also their doctor. This is of huge benefit to them as they are not the most hygienic or healthiest of families! Dr Dog has to treat them for such complaints as smokers cough, head lice and worms as well as tonsillitis, ear ache and tummy ache. He givens good advice and shows the family pictures (drawn in a childlike style) of what is happening in their insides as a result of their lack of cleanliness or their illnesses. It's a great way to get a conversation going about health and hygiene. "Never scratch your bum and suck your thumb" has got us talking about lots of things, as well as raising giggles from the girls.

Dr Dog warns the family of that bad things will befall them if they don't change their ways. I am sure none of them really thought that Grandad Gumboyle's excessive wind would blow the roof off their house though. The illustration for this also causes much merriment as Grandad sails through the air on his toilet as the ruined roof lies beneath him. It may not be what happens to most people but it does make a point!

Unsurprisingly after all this Dr Dog has to have time off for stress - brilliant.

Verdict:This is an irreverent and amusing look at health issues that can affect children and families. It has been well loved for the three weeks it has been in the house!
on 23 October 2013
The story is about a revolting family who have a dog Dr to look after them. It addresses all kinds of issues, such as worms, nits and wind! Children will love the taboo subjects and it also teaches them why they should look after themselves. Favourite line "never pick your bum and suck your thumb!".
on 28 March 2009
Written and illustrated by Babette Cole, Dr Dog was a real hit with me. The text is very, very funny, and a bit rude in places which children (and grown up children!) will be amused by. The illustrations are perfect, I especially love Dr Dog's expressions and the close up of the tonsils! Highly recommended.
on 20 January 2014
Bought this as a Christmas present for my little boy who is 3, & he loved it! It's a great story for teaching children about illnesses & good hygiene - it's well written, with a funny storyline & lovely illustrations.
on 4 January 2011
Head Lice, itchy bums, smoking behind the bike sheds, and more, this book isn't for those of you who are squeemish or germ-phobic.

The story is intended to inform your child about the benfits of good hygeine and healthy eating - although I'm not sure exploding relatives gives an accurate account of what happens after heavy beer and baked bean consumption!

I can't say I enjoy reading this book to my child, but I guess it does inform them about germs etc.