Customer reviews

The Veiled One: (A Wexford Case)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2014
Everything is subjective of course, but I truly feel that this and the next two Wexford novels represent the pinnacle of Rendell's writing for her congenial, well-read country detective. I love everything about 'The Veiled One' from the shopping centre car park scene of crime, the intriguing split stories of Wexford and his deputy Burden to the large cast of interesting supporting characters. Even the soon-to-become obligatory Wexford family drama is not too bad in this one and does, at least, contribute to the plot in that it puts Wexford at the heart of the estate where the dead woman lived.

Many of the characters are fascinating studies but none more so than mother and son duo Dorothy and Clifford Sanders. This pair and their atmospheric, creepy home and lifestyle are superbly well done. Thanks to the Sanders' much of the novel has a very dark, almost Gothic feel to it. Rendell does contrast this well though with the colourful life and home of Dita Jago, the cheery dullness of the Robson's home and the bright, bustling shopping centre which is never long absent from proceedings. The moment when Wexford discovers the murder weapon is one of my favourite passages from a Wexford novel ever - its just so clever! Then there's the events surrounding the second murder, tense and fairly horrific - really excellent. As usual, Wexford does take quite a long time to elaborate his theories to conclusion at the end but its well written and I didn't mind too much. I highly recommend this novel and it would be as good a place as any to dip into the Wexford novels.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 April 2018
Anything by this author I love so this was no different I LOVED IT.
on 25 September 2014
I am a big fan of Ruth Rendell, but I'm afraid this book , in my opinion, is not one of her best. At times I was rather lost and when a book takes me a long time to read, I know it is not holding my attention.However I award it four stars.
on 23 February 2018
I was seriously confused by the characters. Perhaps I wasn't concentrating enough! Some interesting psychology but I never got on top of the women characters.
on 7 December 2011
Another classic from Ruth Rendell , this story involves the murder of a middle aged woman , found in a car park in a shopping centre. Ruth Rendell is a great thriller writer in my opinion , and this book is a very good read, full of suspects and surprising turns.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2012
Another great murder mystery story from Ruth Rendell. I was completely absorbed by this book and it's a nice handy size. Only gripe is that some of the print was missing but this did not detract rom the enjoyment - some sleuthing of my own!! I absolutely recommend this book.
One person found this helpful
on 7 September 2015
Classic Wexford, what can one say?
on 8 August 2015
I so enjoy these book
on 1 June 2013
Very much Wexford. As usual well written and keeps you quessing. Another Gem from Ruth Rendell.Look forward to more from her Pen.
on 10 April 2013
As always, Ruth Rendell comes through with yet another superb book, which I couldn't put down!! This is an excellent buy!