Customer reviews

on 14 January 2000
Mark is tattooed from head to foot - even the title is a cleaver play on words - until you're up close the art of his skin isn't apparent. All most people see is a blue/green giant.
I enjoyed Paul Margs prose and his characters have found their way in to my heart: there's something about his "Valkyrie" (that's not easily forgotten). When I turned the final page I started to worry about the "characters" as though they were close friends: how would they fare?
I read this book in '96 revisiting Mark and family on numerous occasions ever since. There's magic in this book try it; since reading it I've become enamored with the author. After all, how many other books leave you associating oranges with police speed traps and Woolworth's with naturalists?
on 15 May 2001
This was the first book I'd read by Paul Magrs beyond his Doctor Who stuff. I found it very easy to read and the characters were engaging, particularly Iris (who pops up again in the Who books Scarlet Empress, Blue Angel and Verdigris). I'm looking forward to getting hold of his second book now. Thoroughly recommended.
on 13 December 2015
Great early work from Paul Magrs, bought this as I had lost my copy some time ago. Re-read and still as good as I remember
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 October 2008
Having read some of Paul Magr's other novels - "Brendas 1&2" and "Exchange", I thought I would give this a go. I found it a painfully earnest 'first novel, with some good ideas. Tried as I might, the only character I warmed to was Iris, all the others were really irritating. The protagonist was insipid and I found myself not caring what happened to them. The sci-fi esque ending seemed out of place with a novel which was attempting to be a kitchen sink drama but ended up more like a lukewarm bathtub.

The writing style is that of a teenager; pretentious, trite and with a preoccupation with bodily fluids - there's a lot of vomiting in this book. You get the impression that Paul Magrs was trying to shock with some of his prose, but it's all terribly tame really.

That said, some interesting themes - I liked the relationship between Iris and Kelly's mother. It seemed the most real out of all the relationships.