Customer reviews

Searching For Caleb
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 June 2015
The Peck family are like an island. They don't seem to let anyone in and they don't want to let any of their large family out. Their life is living together in the homes that they have built in leafy Roland Park. There have to be those who will get away. Caleb walks away one day, no one knows where to. Duncan is a rebel from childhood and sweet tempered, kind and tolerant Justine, his cousin, sacrifices everything for him. She and their grandfather, Caleb's now very elderley brother, will enjoy in their own ways, the searching for Caleb. Anne Tyler has created her usual mix of complex characters. I am not a die hard Tyler fan, but I have read most of her books over the years. This one I missed way back and hadn't realised that it was published in 1976. Everyone has their one or two Tyler favourites. This one wouldn't be up there with mine, but never the less, even though I prefer the ones with characters that I can relate to, I did enjoy the read. I would recommend it, but possibly readers who already know the authors style would enjoy it more.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 December 2006
Another Anne Tyler family saga, this time an overview of the extended Peck family, from Baltimore, where else! The family history of various generations of Pecks is described, all are great characters of course. Then the focus shifts to the life of Justine, contrasting her modern life with the lives of her forebears, and the search for a lost family member, the titular Caleb.

I think this is right up there with the best of Anne Tyler's novels and the included detective story makes it something different from her other books. As usual there are some unexpected twists along the way.
7 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2015
I have to admit I only ca 40pages.I did not like the people and could not get into it.
That is rare for me to give up on a book, especially Anne Tyler
One person found this helpful
on 14 November 2014
Not one of Tyler's best. I gave up one third in to this novel. Very disappointing.
One person found this helpful
on 3 August 2017
Excellent
on 23 February 2015
I had hoped to enjoy this book more than I did, but I was interrupted a lot which might have affected my enjoyment. Great characters and an interesting portrayal of lives determined by convention and family ties.
on 29 March 2015
Archetypal Anne Tyler. A good story well told that keeps you fascinated.
on 23 April 2016
Change versus stasis, the outside unpredictable world versus the 'safe' world inside a the family. Good characterisation: may move too slowly for some.
on 3 March 2015
Another of Anne Tyler's good books
on 9 April 2017
Very good book, thoroughly enjoyed it