Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 April 2011
This book is great. I could not put it down. For me, each story was better than the last. People that give it bad reviews have either not lived or not loved. How anyone can remain untouched by this is beyond me. Beautifully written, plenty of action, laugh out loud, characters we all know and love. It made we want to be back in the nineties, partying and being free, it exudes an excitment for life that is most definitely lacking in todays society.

It celebrates love, and I'm all for that! I cannot wait to read more of his work.
on 19 November 1997
Never have the effects of drugs been displayed in such a sick yet celestial display of events surrounded by sex,violence and mental degeneration all packed up into one big ball of action that you just can't stop looking at.Put Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodrigez in Scotland,boost them up on the psychadelics and you'll get a script similar to this book.Irvine Welsh is a chemical core genius and Ecstasy is just as excellent as all the other books we've had the privelige to read so far.
on 31 July 1997
Never before have I seen a novel that captured the emotions and state of mind that occurs at rave. Especially in "The Undefeated", trials and often empty lives of people who dedicate themselves to raving. He shows the lengths to which these people go to stay out of reality through drug use. Welsh uses the lifestyle as the setting of an romance that flourishes in a world that is filled superficial love. Truly a voice for the chemical generation.
on 21 November 2016
Class would use again. First time using amazon would defo use again top class
on 27 May 2013
Irvine can be a bit hit and miss at times, but even when he's not so good, he still manages to capture the very essence of that era and I am taken back to those heady years. Only other book that has done that for me is a Glasgow based novella, also on Amazon

on 10 November 2000
Oh, my god. I just have to say that these stories (Specially "The Undefeated") are so great. I'm not a critic, so I won't write anything revolutionary, but this book got into my heart almost as deep as Trainspotting. I read it in spanish (which is not an easy feat) but it didn't loose any sense to me. It's so much fun, and great writing that I almost wish I had never touched it: I felt so bad when it was ending. YOU MUST READ IT, YOB! LAS! See ya in Edina!
on 25 August 1996
I read Trainspotting (first) and Ecstasy (second) while
travelling through Ireland and Scotland this summer. I was
intrigued by the endorsement of Trainspotting which claimed
it to be "The best book ever written by any man or woman --
deserves to sell more copies than the Bible." I figured I'd
give it a try. I'm glad I did. Trainspotting was one of the
best books I've read this year. A truly stomach-turning trip
through the world of heroin addiction. Ecstasy, on the other
hand, seems like a re-hash of a topic Mr. Welsh has visited
too often (even though this is only his fourth book.)
Ecstasy squeezes 3 stories into less than 275 pages (at
least in the UK version.) That leaves you with under-
developed characters and some who are too far-fetched to
believe. The stories just seem to start and not really go
anywhere -- and then just end. What's more, Ecstasy's descriptions of the effects
of drugs fall short of Trainspotting's heroin ride. Irvine
Welsh is a talented writer, but it doesn't show as much
in this book.
on 27 October 1998
It is hard to believe that this book was written by the same man who was able to come up with the ideas, characters, plots and extremely interessting scenarios for "Trainspotting" and "Marabou Stork Nightmares". "Ecstasy" consists of 3 different stories, the first story is somewhat controversial (typical Welsh) with the whole idea of necrophilia, and has a humerous ending with an ironic twist. The second story should have been written into an entire novel. The characters weren't developed enough. The story did have an extremely funny part involving the whole "Melon" situation however. The third, final and longest story was boring and uninteressting. So I give this book one star for its mildly amusing parts, and one star for a cool cover, but is an absolute joke compared to his other work. I got the impression that "Irvine" rushed through this one, especially considering every chapter was only one or two pages.
on 16 December 2001
I picked up Ecstasy while wandering around Europe and honestly only bought it for the title...I used to be into the whole lifestyle and I wanted to see how another author would try and fail at accurately describing the experience of a good pill...after reading it I can say that while the storylines werent the greatest, the descriptions were wonderful...especially the last story...it not only describes how your stream of thought runs while on a pill but gives you an insight into the mentality of someone who uses not only for the first time but also someone for whom the newness has wornoff...and also does something i once thought impossible...it also gets you into the head of someone whos tripping......absolutely wonderful dialog of consciousness and well written....welsh could have put more thought into the stories but overall i would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about ecstasy or acid or to anyone who has every tried them
on 24 November 2014
The first two stories are unexpectedly stupid. The third is quite good. In all, an easy shallow read, a complete opposite of "Trainspotting".