Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
After reading MK Burton's excellent review above there isn't really much to say except that I agree completely. Zombies seem to be competing with vampires for book and film sales at the moment and it is much easier to make vampires more acceptable and romantic than it is to do it for a shambling corpse. Isaac Marion has skilfully taken the classic Romeo and Juliet love story, set it against the zombie apocalypse and made it relevant for today's reader. This book is so good that I read it in one sitting which is most unusual for me nowadays.

Mr Marion is a very skilled wordsmith as Burton has illustrated and if I can be forgiven for copying his method just read the author's description of sleep: 'Every time I go to sleep, I know I may never wake up. How could anyone expect to? You drop your tiny, helpless mind into a bottomless well, crossing your fingers and hoping that when you pull it out on its flimsy fishing wire it hasn't been gnawed to bones by nameless beasts below'. How profound and poetic is that? Remember it next time you wake from a bad dream.

This story is so complete that I suspect the author may not return to the wonderful but awful world that he created but I for one can't wait to read what he writes next.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2017
I loved the movie, and i still do, but the book is so much better! The differences in the story, the settings, the characters, everything, to anyone who loved the movie i highly recommend the book, the movie is great but once you read the book you will see all you've been missing out on! I also recommend the other one in the series, you get some nice backstory to a lot of the characters, and it makes you want to re-watch/read it knowing these facts!
on 16 January 2017
Got the film when it first came out on blu ray without reading any reviews or seeing it at the flicks. I don't often get my flick choices wrong and didn't this time. Just reading the book and just can't put it down while waiting for the next ironic, sarcastic, amusing, humorous, comical, droll, laughable, chucklesome and hilarious narrative.

This one is for keeps to maybe help a hospital patient forget their pain.
on 14 December 2014
Warm Bodies was my first experience of a zombie book. I don’t know why, but I’ve always put it off, not really thinking it was my sort of thing. Since starting book blogging, I’ve discovered I do actually a lot more genres than I thought so I decided to give Warm Bodies a go. I thought it was an addictive, quick read.

Warm Bodies centres around R who is a zombie. He finds his world repetitive with only breaks for feeding. That is until he meets Julie. A human. R decides to capture and protect her rather than feed on her. However, the consequence of being around a human for a long period of time starts to affect R. He becomes completely different to the other zombies.

I liked R and enjoyed reading the story from his perspective. R was a very memorable character with some great witty moments. I was surprised at how well Isaac Marion made a zombie a romantic hero. I thought Julie was likeable too. The romance was incredibly sweet (some might find it too sweet and a tad cheesy) It was some how very believable.

I wasn’t sure what I was going to make of Warm Bodies when I first started it, but so many people spoke so highly of it, I knew it had to be my first zombie book. Warm Bodies does have humorous moments. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and that’s what I liked about it. As for the zombies themselves, I’m not sure how credible it is compared to other zombie books, but it was an enjoyable experience for me, and that’s the main thing!
on 26 March 2017
Beautifully written, amazing story. I watched the movie a while ago, but although I loved it the book is so much better. R is wonderful, funny and sad and real. I feel moved by this story, and will remember this for a long time.
on 22 November 2012
I bought this book on a whim. I admit it was because I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie, and it looked funny. I can honestly say that I am very glad I did. It is one of the best books I've read it a while. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. In fact, I read it in a single day.

Warm Bodies is a poignant love story that is strange, creepy, sweet, and often disturbing. Yet, at its heart it is a study in what makes us human. Is it physical, and tied to our living flesh and tissues? Or is it an intangible world view? Is it memory? Is it feeling? This book reinvents the word "zombie" and does it with sincerity, and a thoroughly original flair. The main character "R" is indeed quite, quite dead, and yet he is so undeniably present and relatable, and his observations on life are witty and profound. What Isaac Marion has done here is create a philosophical zombie book.

In the interests of a balanced review, let me state that there are gruesome moments in the book as you might expect. So, if you are of a highly squeamish disposition, then you may find it too much. However, in that case, you probably shouldn't be reading a zombie book in the first place. It's also peppered with swear words. Not many, but again if that kind of thing bothers you, you know what to do.

In conclusion, I highly recommend this book. It will completely blow you away.
on 13 May 2017
This is the first book that I have read in a single day for a long time. Just couldn't put it down. Recognise lots of bits and dialog from the film but you get so much more with the book.
on 13 May 2017
But all the more enjoyable for that. Definitely a good read, entertaining and thought provoking. I would recommend it to you.
on 8 April 2017
I loved this story. I read this after watching the film and I think you get more from the book with the inner thoughts of R
on 5 March 2017
I didn't think I would like this. Why would the dead rise UN a good way. But it was enjoyable. Despite the unanswered questions