on 19 September 2017
Ok, it is not an easy read but then again its not a hard read, it just happens to be a brilliant work of fiction that requires some perseverance, mainly to accept the magical realism that twines around the historical and personal stories. Rushdie is certainly a Marmite author, in this work his storytelling gifts are outstanding and his language at times elaborate and meandering, but for me thats the challenge and beauty of his style. The display of imagination in structuring the tale is breathtaking and whilst the pace slows at times, it hangs together to keep the pages turning. My advice would be to give it a go, if it works for you then you'll have discovered a gem, if it doesnt then at least you can constructively critique the most famous Booker of them all.
on 23 September 2017
I had the option to study this in University, but declined due to its somewhat interesting history. What a fool I was, as a man who has to some degree lost faith but found it somewhere else, this is a great look at culture tradition, and belief. Beautifully written Rushdie is a genius, a poet and above all an excellent writer.
on 5 October 2017
Tough going - dipping in and out to enjoy something in contrast
on 14 October 2017
Difficult to read doesn't scan well, no punctuation and the story is all over the place. However the premise is very interesting and although a tough read is very compelling. Be warned it'll give you brain ache!!
on 11 September 2017
Wonderful evocative language. A joy.
on 9 September 2017
great book
on 9 October 2017
Interesting and inventive, but rather too sprawling a novel for my taste. Would have preferred it to have been more concise.
on 6 October 2017
A very confusing read with awful punctuation. I'm only persevering with it because it's a book club choice!LOL.
on 30 September 2017
Enjoying the book. In good condition
on 14 August 2015
I have finally managed to finish this book skipping and hopping at times. At the beginning it was good, there were parts of the book, which was magical and very captivating so continued. Now I finished and it left a very sour taste in my brain. Too many very long, endless sentences to describe nothing vital, criss crossing all over the place and repeating same ideas. I like to read heavy books, I enjoy Dostoyevski, Tolstoy for example. At times they become hard to read to but persisting and finishing the book is always rewarding. This one wasn't rewarding for me. I also don't like fantastic elements in books and even movies. Occasionally some art can pass through that barrier in my brain and amazes me. This one didn't do that either.