Wool (Wool Trilogy)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 November 2017
I am intrigued by the knitting themes. - Proper Gauge - Casting Off - The Unravelling - The Stranded. I mean, this is crazy! But maybe the threads all turn in to a garment eventually. Or maybe we have all just had the wool pulled over our eyes. Or something.

However!
There is some interesting stuff in here.
The author enjoys detailed descriptions - the rubbing away of the surface of steel railings by the hands of generations, one molecular layer at a time over the ages - Air bubbles dancing, colliding with things and catching the light as they journey upwards through a flooded silo.
So a lot of atmospherics with much attention to detail. Very visual and visceral.
But this for me, although there is plenty of it, is only the decoration for much meatier subject matter, namely the tendency for our societies to attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of its subjects in order to achieve stability. Or predictability. For their own good. For the good of society itself. I find this an intensely interesting topic. It may even attempt to point to why there is inequality. Very powerful Post-Apocalyptic fiction!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2015
Quite an original story set in a dystopian society with strong Big Brother/Logan's Run themes.

Wool started as a short story and due to its popularity grew into a series of three books. I enjoyed the premise and the idea behind the whole series. However I do feel it was a little padded out to turn it from a short story into three novels. How many times do I need intricate details of objects and staircases? Do I need a page to tell me how the paint is flaking off the metal staircase?

It took me a while to read as the overly detailed chapters felt like padding and didn't hold my interest for long enough. But this still is a good original story. It just needs thinning down in my honest opinion.
on 28 December 2017
It is potentially a good story, however, did not enjoy the writing style.Too many unnecessary details that do not add value to the plot.The plot itself is drowned by the overload of the details of stairs, tools, mechanical details...The build-up of characters is quite disjointed and sporadic.The writing fails to tread the characters into the story well so the reading eventually becomes very laborious.Quite disappointing as the dystopian setting is quite unique and has a creative potential.
on 26 March 2013
'Wool' by author Hugh Howey is my 'must read' for this week, actually this year!!, closely followed in this trilogy is 'Shift' and hopefully soon to be finished, 'Dust'.
A random visit to Amazons Sci-Fi section, I happened upon this title, raised my eyebrows and promptly downloaded it.... Seven hours later, oblivious to my own reality and relishing in the one created by Hugh's imagination, I downloaded Shift.. Utterly hooked....
Wool is a frightening but fantastically well written, 'none put down-able' read. Purely self indulgent it demands to be read from cover to cover without a break, no, not even to feed the children! For those in the know it is a terrifying prospect of a future probability at the hands of man men with delusional wishes of selfish, self preservation. Excellently written throughout, you cannot help but become immersed totally in all of the characters, so well written are these books. Their lives in the Silo should be a stark warning for Humanity not to become complacent. There are too many clues in this book to issues I have researched and addressed on my wall and Blog for there not to be a connection. Mr. Howey may well be unaware that he may just have written a blue-print very similar to the Elites. Regardless... I would highly recommend you treat yourself to the best bit of writing I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time....
on 26 June 2017
I so loved this book and can't wait to read the next! It is a nail biting narrative from the first page and never stop's until the last, leaving you on a cliff hanger, so you just have to read the next straight away! Anyone with any imagination will love this!
on 12 December 2017
This book is great! I loved it. I think Hugh is up there with Iain Banks and Larry Niven, praise indeed but Hugh Deserves it.
Fantastic characterisation coupled with a compelling story-line means you will read this one fast!
(warning: this book may well demotivate wannabe Authors! - you'll just think 'I won't come close to this gem...' wonk!)
No, I'm not a relative of Hugh Howey - just an admiring fan :)
on 16 September 2017
It's not often I rate a book a full 5 stars but IMHO this book absolutely deserves that rating. I'll not go into the plot as there's lots of reviews elsewhere that do that - so I'll just say that it's a great story, very well told, with characters that keep you turning pages long after it's time to go to sleep
on 1 June 2017
I haven't quite finished it yet, but I can't bear to put it down. As I read, I see it 'in film' and look forward to that happening! If you like Hunger Games type stories you will enjoy. I won't go into the story, but it is riveting. I highly recommend.
on 21 November 2017
This was an astounding and riveting book when I first read it and it still grips me even after I have read it a dozen times, I cannot understand why it hasn't been turned into a film series.
on 3 July 2017
I really enjoyed this very unique science fiction novel, it's full of beautifully written characters with depth and scope in a world that's so believable and very provocative...