Customer reviews

1,029
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 June 2017
My Goodreads shelves (read and to-read) include a few dystopian series and I was a little concerned about starting yet another one, especially having read two already this year, lest I get dystopia fatigue. Luckily I needn't have worried, as Wool was great.

This story had a slightly different take on the post-apocalyptic universe, the first such difference being that the inhabitants of the Silo don't know that they are in fact living in a post-apocalyptic world. Many generations of leadership have honed the new society's processes for maintaining order and control, to the point that nobody is even allowed to ask about what's outside or why they live inside. It is simply the way things are. But every so often, of course, comes a new thinker. Somebody who sees the bigger picture and asks the most dangerous of questions: WHY.

The story ramps up pretty quickly and I was drawn right in. It seems like a simple premise to start with, but there are a few nifty surprises and I found the storytelling to be quite compelling, particularly when the world all these people know starts to unravel around them. Also the yarn-based conceits were obviously appreciated for being relevant to my interests ;)
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2014
Many other reviewers have commented on the plot and its characters but I want to focus on Howey's extraordinary ability to reveal information about the world at just a fast enough rate to keep the reader turning the pages. To begin with, he's revealing the world of the silo, so the reader is learning about the status quo, but, pretty quickly, we start learning things at the same time as the lead characters (although sometimes what they and we learn turns out to be untrue). And the true genius is that you don't know what's going to be the next revelation with one exception, for me at least - it was pretty obvious who was in the airlock right at the end.

Howey's not afraid to kill off characters strong enough to have entire novels based on them but doesn't take this too far - once we're into the third act the novel follows a more conventional path but is none the worse for that.

So, if you're someone who enjoys "hard" SF, this is the best example I've seen in a long time. If you have any ambitions to write popular fiction, you should study this book as an example of the author's craft at its very best.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2015
Quite an original story set in a dystopian society with strong Big Brother/Logan's Run themes.

Wool started as a short story and due to its popularity grew into a series of three books. I enjoyed the premise and the idea behind the whole series. However I do feel it was a little padded out to turn it from a short story into three novels. How many times do I need intricate details of objects and staircases? Do I need a page to tell me how the paint is flaking off the metal staircase?

It took me a while to read as the overly detailed chapters felt like padding and didn't hold my interest for long enough. But this still is a good original story. It just needs thinning down in my honest opinion.
on 29 June 2017
I was liking this book, really enjoying it and then about page 400 I lost the will. Good characters, good plot but over stretching the plot in some areas and then skipping on others, left me skipping to the end. Glad I finished it by wouldn't recommend it. A good book that is let down by becoming plodding and even though I skimmed it I still followed it; so over stretched for no reason.
on 26 March 2013
'Wool' by author Hugh Howey is my 'must read' for this week, actually this year!!, closely followed in this trilogy is 'Shift' and hopefully soon to be finished, 'Dust'.
A random visit to Amazons Sci-Fi section, I happened upon this title, raised my eyebrows and promptly downloaded it.... Seven hours later, oblivious to my own reality and relishing in the one created by Hugh's imagination, I downloaded Shift.. Utterly hooked....
Wool is a frightening but fantastically well written, 'none put down-able' read. Purely self indulgent it demands to be read from cover to cover without a break, no, not even to feed the children! For those in the know it is a terrifying prospect of a future probability at the hands of man men with delusional wishes of selfish, self preservation. Excellently written throughout, you cannot help but become immersed totally in all of the characters, so well written are these books. Their lives in the Silo should be a stark warning for Humanity not to become complacent. There are too many clues in this book to issues I have researched and addressed on my wall and Blog for there not to be a connection. Mr. Howey may well be unaware that he may just have written a blue-print very similar to the Elites. Regardless... I would highly recommend you treat yourself to the best bit of writing I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time....
on 26 June 2017
I so loved this book and can't wait to read the next! It is a nail biting narrative from the first page and never stop's until the last, leaving you on a cliff hanger, so you just have to read the next straight away! Anyone with any imagination will love this!
on 1 June 2017
I haven't quite finished it yet, but I can't bear to put it down. As I read, I see it 'in film' and look forward to that happening! If you like Hunger Games type stories you will enjoy. I won't go into the story, but it is riveting. I highly recommend.
on 3 July 2017
I really enjoyed this very unique science fiction novel, it's full of beautifully written characters with depth and scope in a world that's so believable and very provocative...
on 18 July 2017
I wouldn't say that this book started slowly, simply that after a couple of chapters I couldn't see how a story about some people in a hole in the ground could be interesting. I couldn't have been more wrong, the author does a great job of showing the best, and the worst of humanity.
I really liked it and am currently reading book 3...
on 3 July 2017
One of the best books I've read in a long time. i cannot wait to start the second book to see how the story continues.
i believe this could be a great movie if they respect as much as they can the action described in the book.
Very glad I've bought these books, cannot wait to find out the end of the story!