on 18 June 2016
Having read Wool and loved every page, I was expecting another masterpiece which clearly this is not. It feel's like it's been cobbled together quickly for the sake of the publisher seeking further profits. The book continually, and unnecessarily , jumps between 2049 and 2110. The worst part about this is that NOTHING actually happens! It completely lacks the straightforward linear progression of Wool. If you looking for another Wool - this is NOT it. It's, for the most part, slow, tedious and uneventful. At first I didn't believe the bad reviews of this book. Now I really understand what they mean.
on 6 May 2017
Although the concept was interesting I found the authors style rather flat and at times repetitive. I did not feel inclined to read any of his other novels.
on 30 August 2017
Got a bit too long and boring, basic story quite good but didn't hold my attention like the first book. Shan't be getting anymore of the trilogy as I'm all done, the characters were not engaging enough for me to want to know their future.
on 19 October 2015
Having read Wool I presumed the other books would be just as good, sadly a mistake. This book, which I struggled through right to the end, was just too much hard work. I lost interest in the people and in the end I didn't really care what happened.
on 13 March 2014
Wool was a good sci-fi book, using the classic sci-fi technique of asking "what if?" to imagine a world for its characters, and seeing how their story plays out in it. Howey makes the same mistake as many authors in seeking to expand on the world he imagined... asking "why?". This story which tries to explain the origins of the world in which Wool's characters exist fails because, simply, it isn't plausible. The route Howey plots from our present world (roughly) to the future world of Wool asks us to suspend our doubt and disbelief too many times.

The third part of the trilogy, DUST, is a step back into the right direction, but still not nearly as compelling as the first.
on 10 June 2015
Can this be from the same author who wrote Wool?
The first chapters feel so slow, drawn out and laboured. The atmosphere, convincing twists, and characterisation conjured up in the excellent first book 'Wool' is just not there.
Where the first book was imaginative and full of suspense this second instalment is poor by comparison.
on 23 June 2014
This book demonstrates the need for a critical editor who works with the author to create a well paced book. The book overall is too long, the pacing is all over the place and the repetition of certain themes was irritating. A good story but it really needs a "self publish" warning. I bought Dust but I am unlikely to finish it as it has exactly the same faults and I am not that interested any longer.
on 5 April 2014
Although there is the danger of some people perceiving this as dull it deals with some pretty weighty issues regarding life, death, social structures of human communities, moralities and psychology. It also answers a lot of questions as to how the hell the first world in the book wool came about and then throws up more and wanting you to find out how it all ends in the third. I have to say though that although this book is good and the two or so stories involved are gripping the author explains details sometimes too much. That said it is good to have the world set out for you, what with it being a complex one. Also the story line involving mission and co seems like filler and i found the story of silo 17 much more compelling. Can't wait to read the third! :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 July 2014
I loved the first book, and couldn't wait to get my hands on this. However, I thought after the first few gripping chapters, the story became very slow and repetitive. I slogged my way through, but it was hard work at times. I fought the temptation to not finish it, but I have the 3rd book, so needed to finish it in order to move on. Very disappointing book, especially after the brilliance of the first. Here's hoping the 3rd one picks it up a bit
on 18 September 2015
Enjoyed wool as it was a little different. Whilst this book reads well, and brings us to the end point of Wool but from a different perspective, but it bored me. Nothing really differs and how many times can you describe a silo, uprisings, and server rooms. Disappointed but will take a break before pressing on with the last book.