The Orphan Choir (Hammer)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 July 2015
I am constantly on the hunt for 'ghost stories' and this sounded like a good one. I am a huge fan of Sophie Hannah so my expectations were very high.

This is a a good story. The main character is a little hard to like though, which makes it hard to really get into the book. It's mainly an 'is she going mad/ is there something supernatural going on' book. The supernatural elements of the story do not really appear until rather late in the book, which was slightly frustrating. The ending was very good, maybe a little rushed but good. I would recommend if you like mystery stories but do not expect a full on ghost story
on 26 October 2013
I've loved all Sophie Hannah's books but absolutely hated this. The main character, Lou, was immensely unlikeable, and her drippy husband was just about as bad. It started with promise, then became pretty farcical pretty quickly. A huge disappointment, and in no way spooky, just slightly confusing.
on 29 October 2013
Such a good premise, but how much better it would have been if the central character was sympathetic and concerned for other people (like real women generally are). Instead, she's impossible to like. All of Sophie Hannah's books feature a first-person narrator, and I'm finding this character gets worse with each new book! Self-centred, thoroughly stuck up, childish, prone to histrionics ... you can't root for such a character. And towards the end of the book, she starts to just 'know' things. So for most of the book, the reason for the haunting is mysterious, and then by the end, it's just all been magically revealed to her. Meh.
on 11 July 2013
I was recommended this book by a good friend, we usually have a lot of the same taste when it comes to books, but I am afraid this one was really boring. It didnt get good until 93% of my kindle. It was very predictable. If you want a scare at bedtime, i dont think this would be the book for you.
on 1 March 2014
I usually like Sophie Hannah novels but this was weird. Almost as if two stories had been tacked together. There's a real disconnect between the two halves, I preferred the first half, and found the second half ridiculous. It started so well and I had good expectations, which made the disintegration of the final part so much more bizarre and disappointing.
on 31 December 2014
A very brazen red sticker on the bottom right hand corner likens this book to A Woman in Black, I realise this comes from the publisher and not the author herself... two words! THEY'RE LYING.
on 25 May 2017
Not like content
on 30 May 2013
I ordered this book before it was released as I had read a book club review in a glossy mag that I buy and was expecting a really good ghost story. Unfortunately I didn't find it scary at all. If you like a good ghost story or even a thriller, I think you will be a bit disappointed.
on 29 April 2015
Whilst this is a well written book, as are all of Sophie Hannah's, this was not one of her best and left me feeling disappointed.
on 4 December 2015
I love Sophie Hannah's psychological Culver Valley series. I did not feel this was to the same standard, but it was good to see her trying a different genre.