• Shame

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2002
Someone else who reviewed Shame on this site said that the book is a struggle if you don't know anything about Pakistan. I studied this book on my university course and, having no prior knowledge about Pakistan whatsoever, found it by far the most enjoyable, captivating and enlightening book on our course.
It was the first Rushdie book I read [I've since sought out other novels by him]. The character threads and plotlines throughout the novel are complex and tangled, but distinctive and engrossing enough to keep the reader on track. Rushdie's unmistakeable writing style, which seems to appeal highly to some and repulse others, struck me as nothing short of ingenious; knowledgeable and informed without being condescending, humourous without being silly, and informal without being trivial; one has the sense of having a story told verbally to them by a wise and well-travelled uncle with a twinkle in his eye and a wandering memory prone to spinning off on charming tangents. Hugely enjoyable, and like nothing I've ever read before.
on 1 November 2011
Released between the critically acclaimed 'Midnight's Children' and the hugely controversial 'The Satanic Verses', Rushdie's 'Shame' is a book which has been largely forgotten and overlooked in recent years; but is it a novel which can stand toe-to-toe with Rushdie's best? Not really. The novel centers, unsurprisingly, around the idea of shame, weaving a self-consciously uncertain, and often fragmented tale of upper class Pakistani life, but also of the cruelties, suppression and rumour of a country which has seen it's fair share of conflict. There are flashes of Rushdie's brilliance in the book, such as in his exploration of the martyrdom of the wrongly revered former President Iskander Harappa, and in his discussion of issues like censorship, but too often the book stumbles. Rushdie's treatment of the brain-damaged Sufiya Zinobia is perhaps the novel's biggest mis-step, a bizarre story which seems to link her deficincies to evil, and by rumour, transforms her into a mythical white panther. The mystical elements of Rushdie's novels has rarely seemed so poorly used.

On the whole, 'Shame' is a work with definite promise, and some interesting explorations of the danger of restrictions on social freedoms, as well as a curious, and in-depth exploration of the issue of Shame itself, but this is a novel which never quite finds its footing, and passages of the book seem both akward, strange, and even rather dull. For Rushdie fans, there's enough here to make this a worthwhile, if rather frustrating read; but for the uninitiated, this is far from Rushdie's best work, and probably not the place to start.
on 28 September 2000
Though Rushdie begins the novel by introducing his hero, in a casual, Henry Fielding-style, and sets out what seems to be the main theme of the book (namely shame and embarrassment in the Islamic faith and culture), this book is never so simple. The narrative follows both numerous secondary characters, the hero never wholly central, in a winding but entertaining yarn which takes in as much Pakistan's own invented history as it does it present and the lives of the characters. Yet the interest of the reader is always held; the plot, though winding, never ceases to be fascinating in its endless blind alleys and diversions.
In the novel postmodernism is embraced fully; the past and present intermingle, and the narrative changes its focus throughout. Rushdie seeks to reconcile himself with Pakistan and his own Muslim upbringing in India and Britain, drawing heavily from his own life and from Pakistan's history. It is also Rushdie's answer to his critics, no doubt, as rather than ignoring Islam he challenges it and in particular there is a feminist aspect to the story. Rushdie shows himself to be at once a great writer in a the 'classic' tradition and a progressive and enlightened man.
on 30 October 2015
Another gem from Rushdie. The story of Omar is a 'magic realism' take on the identity crisis of Pakistan. The first modern theocratic state which, when conceived, was intended to be secular. What does it mean to be Pakistani? The country, arbitrarily formed by the British drawing lines on a map, suffers from conflicting cultures, language and religion. A fascinating analogy of country and individual.
on 9 December 2012
I re-read Rushdie's novel now against the background of his 'Joseph Anton', and it is surprising how farsighted this book appears today. Many details seem to be foreshadowing, although, of course, they are not.
Apart from this, I love - as I did some 25 years ago - the colouring (or should I say seasoning?), the constant surprises (though I should not be surprised, really), the 'oriental' story-telling with its western breaks.
Three mothers to one child? - no problem!
Ali Baba's cave as a gigantic brothel for the in-laws of one family? - what an idea!

This book is sheer delight.

Thomas Brueckner
on 15 September 2013
I wish I hadn't waited so long to read a Salman Rushdie novel. I'm now torn between rereading Shame at least three more times or starting into Rushdie's other works. The first chapter of Shame blew me away. The colour is beyond description. The chapters after that, simply took my breath away as I hadn't realised an author could take such liberties. When I'd become accustomed to the breath-taking story telling, I discovered I was now engrossed in the lives of the characters. That the characters included a country, cultures and a history, as well as people, helped me finally understand why Rushdie is just so important an artist.

I couldn't wait. I've ordered 'Midnight's Children' and 'The Satanic Verses.'
on 24 March 2002
Once again Salman Rushdie has produced a fantastic insight for the reader drawn from his own incredible mind and experience. His use of magic realism and graphic metaphor produce a book which will remain in your conscious weeks after you put it down. 'Shame', the title says it all but you will still be left guessing at the conclusion.
on 22 October 2012
This book is a well researched and brilliantly written novel which would be of interest to anyone linked to Pakistan. Rushdie has a very playful narrative style which provides some comic relief as well as keeping the story from becoming monotonous.

The novel itself is about the reasons for Pakistan's struggles; still coming to terms with post colonialism, the effects of partition, conflict of the islamic religion, hostilities between west and east Pakistan, westernised elites leading the country. All these themes are encapsulated by the extremes of shame and shamefulness.

I have heard from some reviews that the book can be enjoyed without understanding the history of Pakistan. This may well be true but I do feel that you will get the most out of this book if you have an interest in the history and politics of Pakistan.
on 2 July 2008
Possibly it is because I have not read Rushdie before or possibly because his is just a style that doesn't work for me but I had such a hard time getting into this book and did not enjoy Rushdie's writing at all. It, to me, felt so over the top, his prose full of the unneccessary as if he is trying to let us know just how many clever words he knows so we figure out what an amazing writer he is. I just found it really irritating as I usually do when people use ten words to tell us something they could just as easily do in five. I have a Masters degree in English so it's not that I didn't understand what he was on about I just found it annoying, grating and the story did not capture me at all. This is the first book in a long time that I have started and given up on without finishing. I think if you like Rushdie you'll probably love this, if like me, you prefer a more economical style then you might find it hard going.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2001
Shame was an intriguing yarn and, I disagree that one needs to know the history of Pakistan and India to understand it.
It is witty, funny, erotic and, in some places abrupt. He juxtaposes a political world with a world of fantasy. While one is following the political aspect, Rushdie will suddenly throw in some fanasy.
There were only two parts of the book which left me feeling slightly unfulfilled:
1) The ending. 2) The fact that Rushdie kept throwing in his own, rather unjustified views of his family and politics. I don't mind political views stated behind metaphor, but to come out with it in a fictional novel is simply not my cup of tea. If I want to read his political views I would read a biography.