Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 February 2014
Like all books by Lily Baxter I found this to be a wonderful engaging story. The pages flew by as did the time and I was finished reading before I knew it. This book takes place in the closing months of the war and afterward. Though the blitz is over there are still dangers lurking in the skies namely V-1's and V-2's that cause horrific damage to cities already devastated by the blitz. In this story we meet the Travis family, father the owner of a successful furniture shop, mother stays at home and cares for her family, older daughter Shirley with the reputation of a party girl and Ginnie the serious younger daughter who helps her father. Shirley gets pregnant and the girls are shipped off to the country where they both fall in love with American doctors from a nearby hospital. Both relationships are doomed. Their father is killed in V-2 attack and the girls return home, Ginnie to run the family's story determined to make her family proud. Ginnie is a very likeable enduring character. She is very strong and stubborn and doesn't shy away from anything, far from the damsel in distress type and with grit and determination she begins to modernize the shop. Shirley marries the man who could be the father of her baby son, though his family is dead set against it. This is where the story really begins to take off. So incensed are Shirley's new in laws about the marriage they soon begin to think of ways to get back at the Travis family who they see as having ruined them by stealing their son away. During this, Ginnie attempts to rekindle her doomed war time romance and fails. Ginnie vows to live for her business and to make it into a successful department store like Selfridges. To ensure that her family will never go hungry, or be tossed onto the street. But Shirley's in laws are determined to destroy the Travis family and everything that they worked for forcing Ginnie into the fight for her family's very survival. The book jacket does very little to give an outline to the whole story, most of it takes place after the war is over and frankly the love story is secondary, and I have to say that while the whole story was very well written and enjoyable, the ending felt kind of thrown together. After rooting for and getting to know Ginnie throughout the book I just find it hard to believe she would've put aside all her fears about falling in love with that particular character and rushed into his arms as she did all forgiven with a snap of the fingers. But who knows? While I loved Ginnie I have to say that I think Shirley was my favourite character of all. So well written, one minute you hated her or felt annoyed by her and the next she would say or do something and you would see why Ginnie and everyone else loved her so much. So except for one minor complaint about the ending and it is minor, I truly enjoyed this book, found it difficult to put down and look forward to reading more from this author.
on 7 November 2013
Lily Baxter never lets you down. Shes a great storyteller and this doesn't disappoint. An ex shop girl myself I could relate to the character. But I did find her a bit annoying when she decides that she alone must support the rest of her family after the death of her father. There were the usual twists and turns to keep you guessing and hoping....! All in all , a good read .
on 12 August 2013
at first i didn't think this story was going to hold my attention, how wrong was i by the 2nd chapter i didn't want to put my kindle down i even took it to work with me my lunch hour went all to quickly one of the best i have read.
on 21 December 2014
It is 1944 and victory is in sight, but Gennie Travis continues to work in her family's furniture shop. After her sister Shirley get herself in trouble they are shipped out of town to an aunt's house. While in Shropshire, Gennie meet Lt Nick Miller and romance starts but after finding out he has a fiancée back home Gennie end the relationship. After the death of her father she and Shirley head back to London to help support the family.
I have read all the books by Lily Baxter and I have to say that "The Shopkeeper's Daughter" is my least favorite. The way that Gennie acts make the reader she is saint. This idea is reinforced by behavior of her sister Shirley. Others may have enjoyed "The Shopkeeper's Daughter" but this is not a book that I will be keeping.
on 31 October 2013
Lily Baxter is a fairly new author to me but the books I have read of hers I have thoroughly enjoyed. I shall certainly look out for new titles.
on 28 November 2013
I love Lily Baxter stories, & this held my interest from page one till the end we find mother & daughters at home Father has died so the Daughter that worked a long side her father in the shop takes charge all is well till her sister becomes pregnant & mother does not want the neighbours to know "Of the awful shame" she has brought on the family so both daughters are packed off to an aunt in the country who runs the local pub,(& who is full of fun) till baby is born, this is all set during WW 11 & the Americans are station in the small village!! & there are so many twist & turns to the story that keep you turning the pages. sorry when it ended.
on 27 April 2014
I have enjoyed this Book from Beggining to end its got me hooked on it I have totally enjoyed every minute of
it could.Mr put it down till I read it all . very enjoyable
reading great story line .I Want to give. full stars of FIve
cause it deserves all of them to me .
I Have enjoyed reading this and a Great book I have read so far such a wonderful book

Thank you LIlly Baxter for a great read thoroughly enjoyed this Book very much will certainly read your
Next BOOK if it's as good as this.
on 16 January 2014
THIS IS MY THIRD LILY BAXTER BOOK NOW, AND I CANNOT PUT THEM DOWN ONCE I BEGIN, SO FAR THE BEST BOOK IVE READ IN A LONG TIME I HAVE JUST DOWNLOADED THE NEXT ONE NOW, SO I GUESS ILL BE READING INTO THE EARLY HOURS AGAIN, KEEP THEM COMING LILY, THANKS X
on 21 February 2014
A gritty tale of a young girl who suffered sorrow, joy, and happiness in equal measure. A young person ahead of her time who made a success of her business during times of hardship and war, emerging triumphant at the end
on 16 March 2014
This is a lovely story, I found it a bit slow to start with but then it picked up pace and was really interesting. The characters are well described and accurate for the time period.

I really enjoyed this novel and would recommend to anyone who likes reading about the struggles of the WW11 era and the attitudes of people at that time.

Good holiday read or a bedtime book but beware I was reading until 2.30am one night as I needed to know the end and couldn't wait until the next day!!!