Rod: The Autobiography
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 June 2013
This has got to be the best autobiography you will ever read. Written in a chatty, amiable, genuinely thoughtful manner, this autobiography entertains right from the start. I "grew up" during the early Rod years, he was part of my teenage years, and I have great memories of watching him with Jeff Beck, The Faces, and watching the phenomenon grow when Maggie May was released. I remember dashing home from college waving the Maggie May single, only to find out all 4 of my friends had bought it the same day. It was takeoff time for Rod. This book takes us through those early years, through the wine, women and song, but all written in an easy to read, humorous style by a man who has obviously learnt a lot of lessons as he has gone through life. It is insightful, down to earth, and you honestly feel as though he is just chatting to you down the pub. This is a keeper. Read it, you won't be disappointed.
on 11 February 2014
I have loved Ron's music since the seventies but never thought he could write such a funny, endearing autobiography. His memory is excellent as is his love for his family, friends and country. I remember when I lived in the US in the seventies and he and the very beautiful Britt Ekland were on the cover of People magazine, I thought they were like the "Beauty and the Beast". I have changed my opinion. I think he would have been great company but in a immature way and really not worthy of her though he does acknowledge that she taught him a lot about the arts and decor. She wrote a whole book about him, he wrote not even a chapter about her. A really good read as he definitely changed from working class boy to spending money on art and beauty.
on 8 September 2014
I've only become a Stewart fan late in life, as his ballads and the 'Songbooks' showed a much broader artist than I recall from his heady days. However, this was undoubtedly one of the best autobiographies I've read about a 'celebrity'. The London upbringing, Scottish roots, and maintaining his soccer 'down to earth'-ness throughout singing success (not as over-night as I thought) and myriad of lady friends all had me appreciating the man even more than the myth. Autobiographies tend to either enhance or diminsh the writer in my mind - this was most definitely the former. A great read, and highly recommended (for both fans and those who are not).
on 1 August 2013
Having been a fan of Rods all through his career, and just bought his latest offering 'Life' which is a tribute to his life I thought I would try his book. I am not a fan of auto biographies normally, but this one as soooo readable.
I found myself transported back to my own teens with his memories of his own. Remembered all the dressing up and hair to impress. the dance moves and the latest music,much to the disgust of my parents.
I laughed out loud at the wit coming through in his stories, and cried at the marriage break ups. Annoyed at his philanderings, cheered when he saved enough for his first car.
Such a great book and really, such a great person. Humble beginnings and still humble and very normal despite his fame and wealth.
on 13 May 2014
To be honest, I'm only about a third of the way through the book - been reading it for a week but it's my current book at bedtime. Expect to finish it on a long train journey this weekend but Rod Stewart is such great company that I'm in no rush.

Rod's a great storyteller - his book is hugely entertaining and a great reminder of just how mega his talent is. I was in my last year of school when Maggie May came out and that song sounds just as fresh today. As does pretty much everything he ever wrote or sang. Mandolin Wind - he was pretty much a boy when he wrote that. And Maybe I'm Amazed - for me, his version is the best. He comes across as a bit of a naughty boy – but a lovely man too.
on 5 July 2017
This book is a must for all Rod Stewart fans and even if your not i think you will be pleasantly surprised. The man pulls no punches about his life and his life style, the countless women, drugs , football and many other things. I found this book for me at least had a lot of laugh out loud moments in it and loved how most chapters started of with our hero of in which our hero.
on 4 December 2015
I have the hardback book but I got far more from this, you see I had a Brain Tumour and three operations, and various illnesses, it has left me disabled. I used to love reading and I thought that was one of the things I couldn't do anymore, but the Kindle has made things possible for me, and I can read books again. It's just great, I love it and I loved reading this again properly, Rods funny, sexy, and you just like and love him.
on 15 February 2013
for me it's mixed emotions really. But to review the book itself, it is a fantastic journey through time as well as his own timeline. I think he's been as honest as he could have been. He highlights his failings with a certain ease yet finds it hard to compliment himself when things have gone right.

I've seen Rod as a great performer though musically I'm more in tune with Bowie/Jagger/Richards. Maybe if Rod believed in himself more, I would have believed more in him? All that aside, when he was with the Jeff Beck Group and the Faces, he was a formidable performer, and no one can take that away from him.

I give the autobiography 5 stars and give Rod himself 3.5 stars.
on 21 August 2016
A superb read, rod comes across really well as someone who does not make excuses for his indiscretions, they just happened. Some of the pranks are classics and his lasting friendship with Ronnie Wood continues. A great family man from many sources!
on 27 October 2017
Just started reading this and wish I'd read if sooner. Brings back memories of 60/70s. It's very funny in places and seems to be written from the heart. I love Rods music anyway. Don't usually like autobiographies so I was pleasantly surprised.