Customer reviews

1,176
Format: Paperback|Change

The most facinating part of this book is in the early days, when Rod is working his way into the music business and the years leading up to the time that he begins to make it big. The story, thereafter, starts to become a bit samey for a while: the hits, the tall blonde models, the stadia shows, the failed relationships, the rock-god lifestyle, candidly discussed, but mildly uninteresting. And then come Penny Lancaster in last fifth of the book and it revives in a way that is truly moving. It was good to be reminded of some of his music and have a trip down memory lane and to look at the lost years of the 80's and 90's, which were not, perhaps, his finest years. But Rod manages to describe his ability to re-invent himself and his image, to become a popular artist and remain so to the present day. Overall, this is a good read, with a bit of a dip in the last half, revived towards the end.
on 6 February 2017
I'm not a die hard fan of Rod's but was recommended this by a friend. It is a brilliant book - I found myself listening to the songs he mentioned while I read the chapters and its made me very jealous that I wasn't a child of the 60/70s! He has had an amazing life (and still going!)

Rod's infatuation with women, cars and his beloved model railroads sound slightly arrogant but somehow it doesn't actually come across that way with him. He is still a very grounded chap with a wicked sense of humour. He's very honest and speaks really candidly about getting dumped by Rachel Hunter and his complete adoration for Penny. His bromance with Ronnie "Woody" Wood is heartwarming and hilarious at the same time.

Even if you're not a fan - give it a go... its a great story.
on 28 June 2017
Yes, it's a great read and I'm only a quarter of the way through as I recently took early retirement here in Denmark and as everybody knows, life somehow gets busier when you retire. Although I've never met the man himself, I have some connection as I knew Louis, Humble Pie's sound and lighting man in 1978 when I was PA to Ronnie Corbett and Ron played a football club in North London somewhere for the week and Louis was the sound and lighting man there. Drove a battered Triumph and lived with a posh bird with horses up the road nearby somwhere in Essex. Loads of saga's from Louis and a great week. I'm seven years younger than Rod, but our lives are so mirrored, right down to seeing him play with Jeff Beck at the "Who'd Have Thought It" pub near Maidstone, Kent on a Sunday night back in 1970. So the book is like a trip down memory lane to all those old haunts, such as the Three Chimneys pub just outside Biddenden. But even if you don't have any connection it's extremely well wriiten, articulate and intelligent. Chris Southern.
on 14 December 2012
I thought I knew more or less everything about Rod the God, having been a fan of his since the Seventies with The Faces. I laughed out loud usually in very public places at the funny bits of which there are many, reminisced at various concerts, places, football matches and incidents I remembered, shed a little tear remembering Ronnie Lane at Wembley when he was already very sick with MS, raised my eyebrows a few times, thinking Ooh I didn't know that. Not just a bluntly honest account of his life on both sides of the Atlantic, warts and all, music of course, women, children, friends, football, houses, cars, hobbies etc. as well as too much alcohol and cocaine but also an account of the history of soul and rock music over the last fifty years. What a great book with a lot of content and some nice photos at the end, definitely worth every penny at just over £7 Kindle or £8 hardbook. A must buy for every Rod fan 10/10
on 5 July 2017
This book is a must for all Rod Stewart fans and even if your not i think you will be pleasantly surprised. The man pulls no punches about his life and his life style, the countless women, drugs , football and many other things. I found this book for me at least had a lot of laugh out loud moments in it and loved how most chapters started of with our hero of in which our hero.
on 24 June 2017
I've read about 20-25 autobiographies, and I have to say this one is probably the best. Rod sails close to the wind at times, and seems to lunge from one relationship clanger to the next. Shame the book wasn't longer.
on 18 July 2017
Went to see Rod in Chester le Street Durham
Thought more to this man after all these years decided to read his autobiography found it to be very truthful funny and sad
on 15 January 2017
Thoroughly entertaining, would definitely recommend, one of the better autobiographies I have read, frank, funny and honest, very good book
on 7 March 2017
A well written, no holds barred autobiography from Rod. A fascinating, no holds barred life story which I enjoyed from beginning to end.
on 4 June 2017
Great read when i started to read this book i found i could not put it down .What a good insight into the great man i loved it